early corn harvest????

benelli-banger

spoke to a good farmer friend yesterday who also is a seed dealer...he said he will harvesting his corn as early as possible, as back in another dry year, 2012, there was a lot of corn that blew over towards fall or during fall...evidently in the dry conditions the plant somehow lets the ear of corn have the moisture, and the stalk becomes weaker because of it...I do recall vividly the terrible situation that that caused...many many acres of corn blew over, making it unharvestable...the wildlife may have benefited...anyway, he told me he's gonna be harvesting early, and I'm sure he'll advise other seed customers to do the same, as I have to believe the finger gets pointed at him anytime something goes wrong with a crop...I know for a fact that's what happens, even if it's not the seed dealer's fault!

The fellas cutting corn for silage were 2 weeks ahead of normal timing, dry areas will definately be way ahead of normal years. We should have plenty of crops out for the opener...unless we get our normal annual rain fall yet this season. At my home we recieving almost 5 inches in about 4 days, similar amounts in the immediate area....a good start.

Talked to my farmer/lodge owner friend near Winner yesterday—
He has already cut/chopped all his corn acres for silage-due to conditions
just got 1.5 inches a day or so ago-to late to help-

We have a ton of subsoil moisture that needs to be replaced. Needs to happen before the ground freezes but preferably not during the harvest...like we have a choice!

I would agree and expect harvest to be on the early end of the spectrum unless rain keeps them from getting in the field. There is always that one farmer in every county it seems like that is late on Harvesting and would expect his fields will be full of birds after the rest of the corn has been shelled. 😁 That is the guy you need to get permission from.

Back