e collar for non hunting dogs

smd1973

Since you folks are the experts on e collars I thought I would ask this here. I've got a small 17 lb dog that I want to train better than he currently is trained. He knows sit, come and stay pretty well, but if he is distracted by other things he will not listen. where we live there are 5 big dogs in the nearby houses and I want to make sure that if we wanders off towards potential trouble that he will listen to me and come back. Any suggestions for a simple e collar for this type of basic training? Thank you!

My misses has a Sport dog brand collar for her westie. He weighs about the same as your dog. It has tone, vibrate and correction. She uses the tone button when he is focused on something else, that’s usually all it takes for him.

The sport dog brand is perfect for what you are looking for. And collar conditioning means, you can’t just start giving the pup electricity bc it’s not doing what you want. I give mine the command along with a beeb from the collar. The beeb is a warning after the warning you correct. Also don’t be afraid to try the collar on yourself, I did. You need to know what it feels like to get hit with a charge.

Usually collar conditioning is done with a moving away command like place or kennel. Your teaching them how to turn it off. You don’t just want them running back to you ever time the are corrected.

Usually collar conditioning is done with a moving away command like place or kennel. Your teaching them how to turn it off. You don’t just want them running back to you ever time the are corrected.
If the command you just gave is here—and he knows that command- the collar is very effective too getting command enforced.
collar conditioning is used for much more than for what you say-
not going to get into it-JMO

If the command you just gave is here—and he knows that command- the collar is very effective too getting command enforced.
collar conditioning is used for much more than for what you say-
not going to get into it-JMO
Actually Brown Dogs Can is spot on. And I will add that while you are teaching the dog to turn off the collar, at the same time you are learning what level of pressure the dog can handle. You don't enforce without first conditioning.

Get on youtube and watch standing stone kennels. They’ll give you all the instruction you need, from some people that do this for a living. You’re just gonna get a bunch of opinions from here, that may be good may be bad from weekend hunters like myself.

Back