duck houses

Been wanting to build woodducks houses for my river bottom pastures. Just wondering if anyone made them before, and what wood or materials you used? Can you get them from du or dnr? Thanks:)

I don't think you'll find any for free, but you might be able to find some for the cost of the materials that were used to construct them if you search around.

Typically cedar is suggested as the material of choice since it is rot and insect resistant. Exterior plywood can also be used and the outside painted to help preserve it, but don't paint the inside of the box. Also, don't use a dark color - the contrast between the exterior and the entrance hole are supposed to help wood ducks locate the box.

I've sawed a quite a few boards for the Wood Duck houses over the years.

I used Pine, cedar would be better but kinda pricey for me.

1/2 in thick, 11 in sides, 2 ft high with 12 in sloped and overhang on the top. If it sheds water you'll get 20 years. Put a preservative on it and it will outlast you. A 5 in round hole near the top. On the inside under the hole put a piece of metal screen or fine hardware cloth from the bottom board to the bottom of the hole.

Far better to have the post out over shallow water, still I would put metal flashing around the post. Predators know what duck houses are for if your not careful you will be feeding predators only. Best of Luck!

I use 1 by 12 rough cut pine. This way I do not need a ladder on the inside. The hole should be 4inches long by 3 inches high, like a football shape, anything else invites predators. Trust me, they fit perfectly through. The front is 22inches and the back is 24 inches. I use liquid nails and wood screws. The back I make larger or taller ,so I can attach my lid and hinge and if you are sticking them to a tree it helps. Be sure to put a locking device on the lid. Fill with 4 inches of wood shaving bedding, not wood chips. The hole should be as close to the top or lid as possible without compromising the integrity of the box strength. 3 or 4 inches. If on poles be sure to predator proof the pole. I have had to double plate my holes over the years because the coons try to chew there way in. That is just another piece of 1 by with a hole , usually 12" long by 10" wide and srew it in with 1 1/2 srews, so it is double thick at the hole. Do this on the outside of the box, not the inside. You will have to clean them annually, I do mine in late Feb, because the ones that are over water are easy, because the water is usually still iced up. Be ready for squirrels and screetch owls during cleaning. ENJOY:cheers::thumbsup:

Boy Scout Troops sometimes take these things on to earn badges. Caution though, most I have seen did not last a season. Maybe with good materials they will do alright though. Check with your local wildlife agent or troop leader. By the way 1 12' board of 1 by 12 rough cut pine , makes 1 box.

It is a little hard to see, but this Woody just hatched out with one still trying.

chadpic.jpg

Coot did you get your boxes up???? Here are a few pic's that are not great! One is a hen after being banded and the other of Woody eggs that the damn Northern Flickers decide to just poke holes in before the hen starts to sit!!
IMG_6837_zpsc3e83b95.jpg
IMG_6838_zps14d3cbef.jpg

:coolpics:Bleu. I went 5 for 5 on the ones I made this year:thumbsup: One I found that was metal not for sure was one nesting in it haven't waded out to look in yet. Think I found a huge supply of houses that I can use:thumbsup: So I can't wait for next year.

Back