Dove Soon

BritChaser

Dove season opens in twenty days. Anyone hunting the opener? I'll be sitting by a windmill pond on the high plains on opening evening.

I don't hunt dove but I'm curious, What gauge gun and shells do you use for them? Is wearing camo cloths helpful?.......Bob

Bob, I just started dove hunting a couple years ago and am still learning. I shoot 7 1/2s or 8s and the guys use just about every gauge. It doesn't take too much to bring down a dove. There isn't much meat on the breast but they are great on the grill. Yes, camo is the way to go. You ought to give it a try. Heck, September 1st is like a national holiday down here in Texas.

I can't wait for dove season. I'll be hunting on the Cimarron Grasslands. I remember my first dove hunt when I moved to Kansas. It might of been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I swear they have rocket tucked under a wing. I usually just hunt with blue jeans and a camo t-shirt. As the season goes on it doesn't take much for them to figure out a hunter is my a windmill. I'll be using my 16 guage along with a low brass shell, usually 6 or 7.5 shot. Nothing beats grilled dove breast wrapped in bacon.

I'll be headed out for doves. Not a lot of meat but good on the table. It can be a target rich environment and also very humbling. Nothing like having half a box of shells on the ground and nothing to show for it but a good time. I bought a Mojo dove decoy last year and it really helped to bring'em in a little closer. Might try a call this year and see if they work.

I'll be headed out for doves. Not a lot of meat but good on the table. It can be a target rich environment and also very humbling. Nothing like having half a box of shells on the ground and nothing to show for it but a good time. I bought a Mojo dove decoy last year and it really helped to bring'em in a little closer. Might try a call this year and see if they work.

Moellermd, I broke down last year and purchased a Mojo. It actually attracted exactly one hummingbird and that was it. I don't know how they taste on the grill though.

Dove Details

I don't hunt dove but I'm curious, What gauge gun and shells do you use for them? Is wearing camo cloths helpful?.......Bob

We do wear camo. I only have 12 ga. guns so that's what I shoot. I shoot no. 8s through cylinder and skeet chokes. 15 birds are the limit (in KS) so take plenty of shells. Have fun!

This year is going to be my first for dove. Leaving the dog at home and going to go enjoy what should be a great afternoon in the field with a new brother in-law. I'm going to be taking the Benelli in 12 and shooting handloaded skeet loads. I will post up pics if I can figure out how to.

Enjoy the Dove Hunting

This year is going to be my first for dove. Leaving the dog at home and going to go enjoy what should be a great afternoon in the field with a new brother in-law. I'm going to be taking the Benelli in 12 and shooting handloaded skeet loads. I will post up pics if I can figure out how to.

Have fun and good luck.

Kansas Doves Ready to Be Bacon-Wrapped

I can't wait for dove season. I'll be hunting on the Cimarron Grasslands. I remember my first dove hunt when I moved to Kansas. It might of been one of the most humbling experiences of my life. I swear they have rocket tucked under a wing. I usually just hunt with blue jeans and a camo t-shirt. As the season goes on it doesn't take much for them to figure out a hunter is my a windmill. I'll be using my 16 guage along with a low brass shell, usually 6 or 7.5 shot. Nothing beats grilled dove breast wrapped in bacon.

I'm happy to say that I brought 15 doves back from my opening evening hunt and will be wrapping them in bacon and grilling them over charcoal for an appetizer this weekend. Mm-MMM.

I'm happy to say that I brought 15 doves back from my opening evening hunt and will be wrapping them in bacon and grilling them over charcoal for an appetizer this weekend. Mm-MMM.

That is the way I do them. If I have time I will marinade them in Italian dressing for awhile, then I lay a sliver of jalapeno under the bacon before I wrap them.

Well the dove call doe not seem to work very well. Got a bunch the first 2 time we went out. I like to grill them after basting them in a mixture of mustard mayo olive oil and garlic. Dont over cook'em.

Dove Recipes

That is the way I do them. If I have time I will marinade them in Italian dressing for awhile, then I lay a sliver of jalapeno under the bacon before I wrap them.

Sounds delicious. I think I'll add pepper or maybe onion.

pretty tough to find a decent dove spot here in S. Indiana. All of our crops are late so fields are still green and nothing is harvested! Shot 5 last night but couldn't find 2 of them because they went down in a grass green bean field. Not gonna tell how many shells I burned

I had an opportunity to hunt dove last weekend in the Hondo. TX vicinity and had a great time. I had not hunted the birds in a few years as the population around the Houston area is pretty meager after the first day.

Driving 250 miles each way to shoot birds is just an afternoon drive here in Texas.

Back