Double Barrel opinions

Hello: I'd appreciate information from anyone who has experience using a side-by-side DB. I use an O/O and like it but am considering getting a S-b-S. Also, I'd appreciate your thoughts about Stoeger guns. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

I hunted wiht my Win 23 in 20 for the first time this year liked it just fine! Killed birds so can't be wrong!:cheers:

I pick the gun to carry based on 1) the weather: Bad = old reliable Rem 1100., otherwise one of the doubles ( O/U or SxS). Also "distance". the 1100 ahs a sling and we are on a hugh piece of CRP or walking a long way, the sling come in mighty handy.

No direct Stoeger experience. My usual approach to a brand question is always
Does it fit you?
Does it reliably go bang when you pull the trigger?
Can you afford it?
Go for it!

No Stoeger experience here, either, but I've got a Stevens 12 sxs mod/full, an AYA 12ga sxs Sears/Matador imp/mod, and my baby, an AYA 20ga sxs Matador II, imp/mod.

Early season, it is one of them that goes hunting with me, then I drop down to a single shot.

I much prefer the sxs, but part of that may be the sense of upland hunting tradition.

Stoegers I've seen have not had the craftsmanship the old field guns did, but probably will do the job.

As far as a Stoeger, my son has an automatic and it's a piece of shit. spend a little more money and buy a Benelli.(or a lot more money)
:cheers:

Stoegers are strong and about as balanced as a 4x4, would be a good gun to saw off and use for robbing liquor stores:)

one of the best buys for your money for pheasants is an ugartechea 12ga with 27.5 inch barrels, also you will want double triggers no matter which you brand you choose. They are simple to get familiar with and give you the benefit of being able to pick the best of two chokes instantly. Single triggers doubles with a barrel selector switch are impossible to use quickly.

Having two choke options is one of the best benefits of a SxS

Mine is choked cylinder by lite modified which works well over pointing dogs.

Just my experience

bobman, I can appreciate you affection for double triggers and I can see the benefit if you like them and can get use to them. But they are really a matter of personal preference. I've had several O/U's and SxS's all with single triggers because that's what I prefer. Most of the time when shooting IC/Mod chokes I rarely, if ever, found the need to switch which barrel was firing first even when I had a barrel selector. For 99.9% of my upland hunting firing the more open barrel first was the best choice. But, like I said, it's all about what each of us prefer. No right or wrong answer. Kind of like the long barrel/short barrel debate.

Get the type of gun that you like or fits you
I will comment on the Stoeger - I had one of their O/U's for 4 years and never had a hick up. Would still be shooting it if it had ejectors. Im not a label whore. If its functional and operates as expected - I don't care what name is on it like most others. I assure you your dogs and birds dont care either.

class

first off, birds don't care what you use to shoot them with. second, if you want to hunt with some class, you will use a sxs, straight stock and double triggers. i currently own and hunt most every year with about 20 different doubles. i own one beretta o/u and shoot it well. it's in a 28 ga. and just this last week shot 6 geese and 11 ducks with it, i call it my goose gun and always have hated the damn thing and the selector even though the beretta selector is the best on the market. have been using doubles for nearly 50 years and love em'. cheap one's are like clubs, good one's are like fine wine. while the right barrel is usually shot first, with the double trigger you do have a choice and that can be made even while the bird is in flight, you can't do that with any single trigger gun, period. big deal, maybe not but it is a choice and i do use it. one thing to consider is that when buying a double is to make sure the gun is on the right size frame and most of the cheap one's are not. currently my love is a new aya in 28 ga. box lock with 29 " barrels and lop of 14 3/4 at about 5.5 #'s.

cheers

bobman, I can appreciate you affection for double triggers and I can see the benefit if you like them and can get use to them. But they are really a matter of personal preference. I've had several O/U's and SxS's all with single triggers because that's what I prefer. Most of the time when shooting IC/Mod chokes I rarely, if ever, found the need to switch which barrel was firing first even when I had a barrel selector. For 99.9% of my upland hunting firing the more open barrel first was the best choice. But, like I said, it's all about what each of us prefer. No right or wrong answer. Kind of like the long barrel/short barrel debate.

Most of my shots are close over my pointers so I like the cylinder barrel but once in a while the bird will scoot out and flush at 25 yards so I like to be able to go to the back trigger and have some choke. I've had a few O/U with selective single triggers and I am too much of a klutz to work them:)

but what do I know heck I like pumps also.

Everyone should shoot what they enjoy its all good.

I wish I lived out there so I could hunt like you do

Last edited:
Oh...forgot...

At least give some consideration to the space available in the trigger guard. With heavy Winter gloves, sometimes the trigger finger has a hard time with double triggers--too much glove for the space, and I need heavy gloves.

Have fun, be safe.

Oh...forgot...

At least give some consideration to the space available in the trigger guard. With heavy Winter gloves, sometimes the trigger finger has a hard time with double triggers--too much glove for the space, and I need heavy gloves.

Have fun, be safe.

+1. I can shoot my single trigger O/Us wearing ski gloves if necessary. I can't do this with any of the autoloaders I own.

If you're looking for a very reasonably priced, light, reliable gun, I would suggest the Yildez guns, sold at Academy Sports.

first off, birds don't care what you use to shoot them with. second, if you want to hunt with some class, you will use a sxs, straight stock and double triggers. i currently own and hunt most every year with about 20 different doubles. i own one beretta o/u and shoot it well. it's in a 28 ga. and just this last week shot 6 geese and 11 ducks with it, i call it my goose gun and always have hated the damn thing and the selector even though the beretta selector is the best on the market. have been using doubles for nearly 50 years and love em'. cheap one's are like clubs, good one's are like fine wine. while the right barrel is usually shot first, with the double trigger you do have a choice and that can be made even while the bird is in flight, you can't do that with any single trigger gun, period. big deal, maybe not but it is a choice and i do use it. one thing to consider is that when buying a double is to make sure the gun is on the right size frame and most of the cheap one's are not. currently my love is a new aya in 28 ga. box lock with 29 " barrels and lop of 14 3/4 at about 5.5 #'s.

cheers
Good "stuff" Only guy I know with more doubles than me! Two O/Us, seven SXS. When I got my AYA 16 ga. #2 Roundbody I was looking at a 28. I did not realize the 28 may have had 29" barrels. Presumably longer than 27 to slow the swing?

Good "stuff" Only guy I know with more doubles than me! Two O/Us, seven SXS. When I got my AYA 16 ga. #2 Roundbody I was looking at a 28. I did not realize the 28 may have had 29" barrels. Presumably longer than 27 to slow the swing?

I would love to get my hands on AyA round body 16 ga! I looked at a version they make for MW Reynolds in Denver, but it was way out of my price range at $6300.

To answer one of your questions...

I have a Stoeger Condor it is a decent gun for the price...
The swing on the gun seems to fit my GF and Daughter pretty well... I personally prefer a front heavy gun as I do alot of snap shooting so this gun fits me pretty well... Has fired reliably every time the safety is off when someone pulls the trigger.

Cons... The Condor model at least... Difficult to release safety until it is broken in. Safety automatically sets itself every time you close the action (annoying when trap shooting). No barrel selection (bottom barrel first then second barrel using recoil of shot to select it).

When you consider I paid less than $400 for this gun new... It is a reliable gun so far.

good doubles

I would love to get my hands on AyA round body 16 ga! I looked at a version they make for MW Reynolds in Denver, but it was way out of my price range at $6300.

go to the websites of gunsamerica, gunbroker, and gunsinternational and check out the aya's that are available. also while at it you can make make a note of the national dealers on the sites and check with them. a used gun like that is about 30% or more less but you can get a wonderful gun in a box lock, not a side lock for about $2500. reynolds deals in great guns and his prices are usually for somebody else. the 16 ga. has, over the past 60 years come back into focus just about as often as my favorite .257 roberts. if one were to get serious about killing upland birds, esp. pheasants, the 16 ga. is the greatest gun ever made to do the job, esp. in a double gun with two triggers. for one, it nearly performs as well as the 12 ga. but much much lighter, shoots a wonderful 1 1/8 oz. or 1 oz. shell and does so with authority. it is one of the best patterning guns out there whereas, the 20 ga. is one of the worst. the 16 must be on the light frame and not just the barrels placed on a 12 ga/ frame which most of the mfg. did. the weight and bal. of a nice 16 ga. dbl. is to die for. better keep checking, you'll love it. in the mean time i'll keep shooting my 28 ga. it is even lighter

cheers

I shoot a sxs 20 gauge Stoeger. In fact I liked it so much I just bought another one. I like them with the 26" barrel and are great for snap shooting. Just shot an Arizona slam with one two days ago. For $800 I have two 20's which is nice in case something were to happen. I've had one of my sxs stoegers for 5 years now and it shoots reliably. The only downside 'ive found with the sxs is the wood on them. I keep it well oiled because the wood tends to want to shrink in the dry Colorado air.

Look at the CZ -USA Ringneck Side by Sides. They are a single trigger gun that is built on a gauge specific frame. The receiver is color case with side plates.

The best part is that it retails for about $999.00. :thumbsup:

This is my bias review since I am on the CZ ProStaff:D

Please PM me should you have any questions on the CZ Shotguns.

Kick'em Up!

doubles

for the budget minded guy's out there, the cz line of sxs is pretty good, all of their guns are on the correct size frames, the lines are correct and most of all they work. i have two of them but in my hunting circle there are about 10 more and so far no problems with any of them, great looking guns. also think that yahoo out in calif. with his shaggy mutts uses one while he is harassing those poor quail

cheers

Back