Don't be that guy

Don't be a slob. Went to hunt some land a friend owns. Found it newly posted with signs reading ... "No Hunting, don't waste your time asking". Contacted them to see what had happened. Apparently, four vehicles of hunters from Kansas (every place has their idjits) hunted the land, shot a dozen or so roosters and cleaned them at the end of a tree row. Left everything...heads, guts, legs, torso...except the breasts. Quite the mess. No one, not me not his family...no one...will hunt this land now. One justifiably pissed off landowner. Don't be that guy.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah. Some people just don't have a lick of sense. The problem is all four of the dipsh*ts agreed that was the correct thing to do. Can't fix stupid....

Thankfully, I've never once cleaned a bird in a field, and I've even stopped a group from doing it. I wasn't going to let them be those guys.

We strolled up to some WIHA by Hays about 6-7 years ago, and found a mess of tailfeathers and carcasses left in the ditch. We also found both pheasant feathers and the carcasses of coyotes which some idiots had dumped in a patch of WIHA north of Burrton (its no longer enrolled in the program).

LOL what is the problem the night crew will clean up the mess in no time. trass and spent shells would piss me off way more than pheasant guts. I as a land owner would never be pissed at this. Hell the skunks and others woulg clean it up pdq.

LOL what is the problem the night crew will clean up the mess in no time. trass and spent shells would piss me off way more than pheasant guts. I as a land owner would never be pissed at this. Hell the skunks and others woulg clean it up pdq.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I've never cleaned a bird in the field, but I've never had to worry about transporting it. Didn't they need to leave a leg on ?

Trash is way worse in my mind, and maybe they left plenty of that also. But, his land, his rules. Seems a little extreme to exclude friends and family over something like this. Did you talk to him before you showed up ? Or did you notice the signs as you drove by ? I've had deer hunters think they ask once it means lifetime permission.

Anyone who asks to hunt our land I always remind them to clean up after themselves, and I check if I can. One group of duck hunters left Gatorade bottles, shell boxes and piles of spent shells. It's always been spoken for when that fellow asks.

As hunters we have a requirement to leave land the way we found it. Unless a landowner tells you something is ok...don't do it. You have no way of knowing what the owner will think.

Land was posted before (with different signs) ? Trespass ??

How does he know it was four trucks from Kansas ?

Sounds like he is wound up pretty tight to stop all hunting (family and friends) because of this one incident and there are probably other things that are bothering him right now. There are always some people that live on that edge ...

If he is a friend and not just an acquaintance (or maybe even then), why not offer to drive down and clean up the mess for him and right the wrong ?

1. Land was not posted.

2. He knows they are from Kansas because he drove in to chat with them and they had just finished trashing his land.

3. They refused to clean up their mess and drove off.

4. No quicker way to piss off an old timer.

5. I would have cleaned it up but he already had.

1. Land was not posted.

2. He knows they are from Kansas because he drove in to chat with them and they had just finished trashing his land.

3. They refused to clean up their mess and drove off.

4. No quicker way to piss off an old timer.

5. I would have cleaned it up but he already had.

Yeah, that's different then. They burned their bridge because they figured they would never have to cross it again.

I can't imagine someone refusing to clean up when asked. It doesn't sound like they asked before they went in.

Saw this in SD opening week on some CREP land, 7 fresh birds cleaned and tossed onto private land on other side of fence from the CREP. Actually had a CO stop us at sunset and check us, we asked him about it and showed him the birds and with out him actually seeing them do it all he would be able to do is a littering ticket. He said if he saw them cross the fence to dispose of the birds he could write them for trespassing but not much more than that. he did agree that he wished he could do more in those cases but his hands were tied because of the laws. Sucks because it makes all of us look like slobs!!

Since it has become clear to me that many here don't have the hunting etiquette they claim to have, and because it took a text message to a CO to back up what several people advised you to do, when you have misidentified, and therefore killed the wrong gender of bird. ( Seems like the "forget about, leave it lay" folks didn't want to discuss it much, after that), I will just post a paragraph from the 2016 Hunting Atlas, you can argue with that ( and I know you will):

4. Do not leave carcasses in the field, or next to roads or parking areas. Private lands have been lost because inconsiderate individuals have left carcasses and gut piles in parking areas and along roads. When field dressing harvested animals, gut piles should be disposed of away from highly visible areas.

I won't tell you what I do with them because the experts who said it's alright to leave a dead hen lay in the field and not self-report, will, no doubt have plenty to say. Of course they would be wrong about that, too.

Curious: does the "handbook" discuss what procedure to follow, if a hen is shot accidentally?

Yeah, that's different then. They burned their bridge because they figured they would never have to cross it again.

I can't imagine someone refusing to clean up when asked. It doesn't sound like they asked before they went in.

Can you hunt the land in ND if its not posted? Thought I read that somewhere? Do you not have to ask? Is it a good idea to anyway?

Curious: does the "handbook" discuss what procedure to follow, if a hen is shot accidentally?

This info was in the 2016 atlas, not the 2016 Handbook. Try to keep up.

Can you hunt the land in ND if its not posted? Thought I read that somewhere? Do you not have to ask? Is it a good idea to anyway?

The short answer is yes. No posters it's ok. It's difficult to find out an owner of a piece of land without a Plat book. A section maybe by a farm, but that doesn't mean that farmer is the owner. When it comes to hunting ditches you have to be careful here. If the adjacent land is posted, so is the ditch, so no hunting.

https://gf.nd.gov/hunting/regulations

Good Luck!

Greg

Every state has its own set of land & ditch access laws. Need to know them before you start hunting.

Plenty of landowners in NoDak live in town or a few will even move to places like AZ by this time of year. In many cases the landowner lets his renter decide on the no hunting rules.

Platt books are extremely helpful. Now days phone books are relatively useless so unless the poster has the phone number written out on the sign or you have a platt book ... many are nearly impossible to contact on an immediate basis.

This is where locals have an advantage if they can maintain a good relationship with their "neighbors". Not always easy for many on that front either.

I've cleaned birds in public land parking areas before. There are times where I'm in SD getting in a quick hunt from 10 to noon on a Sunday, then leaving directly from the field to head back home to MN.

I guess it never crossed my mind to actually leave the carcass in the field/parking lot. When traveling on hunting trips, I always pack a cooler and ziplock bags for the meat, and some plastic grocery bags to throw the rest of the bird away into. Not a big deal to leave it in the bag in the back of the truck until I can throw it away in my own trash at home.

In North Dakota you don't have to ask Permission if Land is not posted. You can walk right on and hunt.
However, you must ask permission, if land is not posted and there is a crop standing or livestock in the field.

if Both sides of the Road are posted you can't hunt the roadway (like you can in SD).

I've cleaned birds in public land parking areas before. There are times where I'm in SD getting in a quick hunt from 10 to noon on a Sunday, then leaving directly from the field to head back home to MN.

I've been in the same situation a few times in the past. I usually throw the birds and/or rabbits in a cooler (whole) then bring them home. I'll clean them there. Rabbits I'll gut no matter what. Toss the guts in a bag then trash the bag or, if it's cool enough, I'll place the bag in the back of the truck. Toss once I'm home.

If I have to clean the birds on the spot, the waste will go in a bag then I'll trash it on the trip home.

With that said, it's never bothered me to bump into a few skins/parts on my hunting grounds. To be honest, I like observing crop content and maybe pulling some tail feathers for the kids, but obviously if everyone left their game's waste/parts laying around like that it would be a mess.

Back