Dominate goblers

Goosemaster

When a pack of big goblers comes to the call, which one in the line, is the oldest bird?Is it the one in the front, the one in full strut,the biggest bird, the one with the longest beard?Ive called in flocks of toms, several times, and you have to pick one out, to shoot.Its perplexing.

When a pack of big goblers comes to the call, which one in the line, is the oldest bird?Is it the one in the front, the one in full strut,the biggest bird, the one with the longest beard?Ive called in flocks of toms, several times, and you have to pick one out, to shoot.Its perplexing.

Usually if in a big wad there all same age in most cases... No way to know the age b4 u shoot them unless u have good binos or spotting scope then u can see the spurs & go after the biggest...

For the most part the "dominant" gobbler will be the most aggressive strutt the longest chase other gobblers around etc. But he mite not be the oldest or have longest spurs etc. I've seen huge 2yr olds chaseing birds around & non fighting non aggressive 3+ yr olds with needle sharp spurs...

The most aggressive birds will not be the prettiest lots of times they will have missing feathers on wings tail etc or broken spurs ... I'm big into color I always try to shoot the best looking bird color wise

Usually if in a big wad there all same age in most cases... No way to know the age b4 u shoot them unless u have good binos or spotting scope then u can see the spurs & go after the biggest...

For the most part the "dominant" gobbler will be the most aggressive strutt the longest chase other gobblers around etc. But he mite not be the oldest or have longest spurs etc. I've seen huge 2yr olds chaseing birds around & non fighting non aggressive 3+ yr olds with needle sharp spurs...

The most aggressive birds will not be the prettiest lots of times they will have missing feathers on wings tail etc or broken spurs ... I'm big into color I always try to shoot the best looking bird color wise
Last year , there were these two big goblers that were away from a bunch of younger toms, on the edge of a grain field.So I low crawled through the brush to where there was a slight hill, and I pit my decoy up on top of the hill, so they could see it.I gave three yelps on my slate call, and herd both of these huge toms sound off.So I knew it was going to be a show.So I wait mamba a minute,and this big hen that was with the goblers, comes up over the hill, and w alas right by me, maybe 6 feet away!! I knew if I spooked that hen, it was probably game over, so I put my face in the mud, I was already on my stomach .The hen was peeping, and wasn't on alert, and walked on down to the creek to drink.I gave one more Yelp, and both these huge toms came up the hill, in full strut.The sun had just come out, and it was a beautiful sight.Both were over 25 lbs, and at 15 yards, I had to decide which one to shoot. I had two tags, so I could have shot both of them, but I didn't want my in state season to be over, so I took the one in front.Used a 20 guage. In retrospect , I think I should have taken the one with the longer beard, but they were both huge goblers.I took some photos, but this sight is sort of a hassle to post on, from a regular camera .

Here is another tip. Goblers will go up hill to a call, way easier than they will go down hill.So if a gobler sounds off on top of a mountain, and you are at the bottom, climb the mountain from the other side, and don't call at all, until you are above him, or on the same level. Also, find a clearing to put your decoys out, where they can be easily seen.

Here is another tip. Goblers will go up hill to a call, way easier than they will go down hill.So if a gobler sounds off on top of a mountain, and you are at the bottom, climb the mountain from the other side, and don't call at all, until you are above him, or on the same level. Also, find a clearing to put your decoys out, where they can be easily seen.

I rarely use decoys & I've called gobblers every witch way up hills down hills across creek's roads through fences away from hens I think a lot of them old tips are myths sometimes...

I hunt tons of hill country & some prairie type hunts also no hills out on the prairie not much cover to hide ur movements takes awhile to get used to that style of hunting...

Real tip... If birds are not listening to your hen yelps try gobbler yelps clucks etc. Breeding only happens so long Thus hen yelps only work so long once I started talking to the gobblers with gobbler talk I started working more toms late late season when usually toms group back up into bachelor groups

I rarely use decoys & I've called gobblers every witch way up hills down hills across creek's roads through fences away from hens I think a lot of them old tips are myths sometimes...

I hunt tons of hill country & some prairie type hunts also no hills out on the prairie not much cover to hide ur movements takes awhile to get used to that style of hunting...

Real tip... If birds are not listening to your hen yelps try gobbler yelps clucks etc. Breeding only happens so long Thus hen yelps only work so long once I started talking to the gobblers with gobbler talk I started working more toms late late season when usually toms group back up into bachelor groups

Good tip- I've never done any gobler calls.Most of my hunting is flat prairie , although I enjoy the hills more. They like grain fields, corn, alphalpha, hay, that's usually down low.Getting seen, is the problem. I like hill country, because of the terrain, deep cuts, coolies.im going to hunt the hills this spring, in the cmr. Turkey hunting is such a blast, I love it.

Good tip- I've never done any gobler calls.Most of my hunting is flat prairie , although I enjoy the hills more. They like grain fields, corn, alphalpha, hay, that's usually down low.Getting seen, is the problem. I like hill country, because of the terrain, deep cuts, coolies.im going to hunt the hills this spring, in the cmr. Turkey hunting is such a blast, I love it.

I never hit the turkey woods with out a pocket full of mouth calls box & gobble shaker call I've gobbled in lots of hung up gobblers if they hang up I shut up make a few hen yelps & cut my self off with a gobble if he any kind of jealous type gobbler he will come & try to see the un known gobbler moving in on his girlfriend lol

I never hit the turkey woods with out a pocket full of mouth calls box & gobble shaker call I've gobbled in lots of hung up gobblers if they hang up I shut up make a few hen yelps & cut my self off with a gobble if he any kind of jealous type gobbler he will come & try to see the un known gobbler moving in on his girlfriend lol

Maybe I'll try that, I like to Yelp, and cut, and I'm learning that peep sound. It took me several years to learn how to turkey hunt, but I'm getting good at it.Its really chalenging, and the country they live in is awesome.

Maybe I'll try that, I like to Yelp, and cut, and I'm learning that peep sound. It took me several years to learn how to turkey hunt, but I'm getting good at it.Its really chalenging, and the country they live in is awesome.

What's this peep sound??? You talking a kee kee run??? If I bust a bird or 2 & or flush a bird & think more birds in area or herd that bird I'll wait 30-60 min & start kee kee run yelping will sometimes put birds on ease if they think its safe & another bird start trying to re group etc.

Like i say yelps well hen yelping only work early in season I hunt till may 31 killed like 7 birds from may 5 - may 29 never hunted April last year helped a buddy out...

Turkey are like trout they only live in beautiful country most cases... Have to say OK was not that beautiful more rugged beauty I guess lol oil wells & jacks + gas lines all over was kind of a bummer...

What's this peep sound??? You talking a kee kee run??? If I bust a bird or 2 & or flush a bird & think more birds in area or herd that bird I'll wait 30-60 min & start kee kee run yelping will sometimes put birds on ease if they think its safe & another bird start trying to re group etc.

Like i say yelps well hen yelping only work early in season I hunt till may 31 killed like 7 birds from may 5 - may 29 never hunted April last year helped a buddy out...

Turkey are like trout they only live in beautiful country most cases... Have to say OK was not that beautiful more rugged beauty I guess lol oil wells & jacks + gas lines all over was kind of a bummer...

Well- they make a lot of diffent sounds. My big thing is scouting in the afternoon. I've gotten good at getting them on farms, but I want to get one in the timber, where there are no crops.These birds will be harder to get.I really like the hill country of Montana, it's beautiful country, but unfortunately not all of it has turkeys.I want to get one in the cmr refuge sometime. I know there are turkey there.

Well- they make a lot of diffent sounds. My big thing is scouting in the afternoon. I've gotten good at getting them on farms, but I want to get one in the timber, where there are no crops.These birds will be harder to get.I really like the hill country of Montana, it's beautiful country, but unfortunately not all of it has turkeys.I want to get one in the cmr refuge sometime. I know there are turkey there.

Yes they do & most the calls have names cluck cutt putt purr fighting purr plain yelp assembly yelp kee kee run yelp gobbler yelp etc. I'm always trying to add calls to the turkey vocab so I'm curious about this peep call... Do hens do it??? When??? Like if lost just after a yelp etc.???

Are the bird's you are hunting Merriam's??? I've only hunted true Merriam's in mountain terrain only once in Nebraska did I get to hunt em around crops...

There a few spots I know of in Montana mountain Merriam's but the weather in MT is S*** & I've never been able to make it to these spots due to gumbo roads...

I grew up hunting timber gobblers I hate hunting big woods birds no real rym or reason to some of the things they do... Merriam's are really goofy nomadic birds especially in the mountains...

I've killed lots of gobblers coming to roost u can actually call em in & work em up on the roost & get back in early the next morning & usually have a great shot at that bird... Put a decoy out then a hen & it up the odds a lil more...

Last edited:
Yes they do & most the calls have names cluck cutt putt purr fighting purr plain yelp assembly yelp kee kee run yelp gobbler yelp etc. I'm always trying to add calls to the turkey vocab so I'm curious about this peep call... Do hens do it??? When??? Like if lost just after a yelp etc.???

Are the bird's you are hunting Merriam's??? I've only hunted true Merriam's in mountain terrain only once in Nebraska did I get to hunt em around crops...

There a few spots I know of in Montana mountain Merriam's but the weather in MT is S*** & I've never been able to make it to these spots due to gumbo roads...

I grew up hunting timber gobblers I hate hunting big woods birds no real rym or reason to some of the things they do... Merriam's are really goofy nomadic birds especially in the mountains...

I've killed lots of gobblers coming to roost u can actually call em in & work em up on the roost & get back in early the next morning & usually have a great shot at that bird... Put a decoy out then a hen & it up the odds a lil more...
Hens make the peep sound when they are content, and rooting around, or walking. I hunt merriams, usually on farm land, and sometimes in the hills, but mainly on private farms.I hunt by myself, because I don't want to show people turkey hunting places.Also, farmers might let one guy on, but not two.I go to public land, if I have somebody with me, and then things get harder, because other hunters can go in there, and totally screw things up.Id like to do a slam, but that would cost thousands of dollars, so I've resigned to the western birds, which are great.Im going to use my bow this spring, and I could have used it last spring I think, but they might see you draw, and that's a concern, as well as wounding a bird, and I don't want to do that.I don't hunt big game, never have, but I'm decent with a bow, and I think I can get a bird.

Hens make the peep sound when they are content, and rooting around, or walking. I hunt merriams, usually on farm land, and sometimes in the hills, but mainly on private farms.I hunt by myself, because I don't want to show people turkey hunting places.Also, farmers might let one guy on, but not two.I go to public land, if I have somebody with me, and then things get harder, because other hunters can go in there, and totally screw things up.Id like to do a slam, but that would cost thousands of dollars, so I've resigned to the western birds, which are great.Im going to use my bow this spring, and I could have used it last spring I think, but they might see you draw, and that's a concern, as well as wounding a bird, and I don't want to do that.I don't hunt big game, never have, but I'm decent with a bow, and I think I can get a bird.

I assume we are talking same call probably a putt you are talking about never herd a peep ... Kinda sound like puck they will do it lots when they come to calls & then don't see a bird its a kind of I'm here now wear are u call...

All I mainly do is cut & yelp no purrs clucks & I also tend to not yelp lots of yelps in a row I'm a 2-4 yelp guy. .

In my experience in every state except Florida Osceola u can get in in private land for turkey & maybe not the deep deep south states wear turkey hunting is tradition but in Montana Nebraska south Dakota Kansas Wisconsin & a few other states the farmers act like there are to many turkeys they will let u & a few guys hunt... I know powder river & I can't think of the other outfitters name in SE MT locking up lands for turkey but outside of there I think u can score private land call a biologist he will point u in a direction wear farmers don't like turkeys & like hunters...

So you are anti hunting eastern sub species???

I shot 3 species last year in like a lil over 2 wks 3 states killed a bird of each species on public & it did not cost me thousands I camped wear I hunted & also was allowed to hunt 1 killer chunk of private in NE nice rancher...

Most $$$ spent was on gas & hunting license... Takes about 8-9 hours of straight driving to get to the spots I hunted from my door... 10+ to WY For 300$ u can get 3 tags & 3 species... About same amount in gas $$$ gets u into turkey country... Eastern's will be the tuff 1 for you to kill just due to travel distance... Not sure of the Closest to you eastern species wise probably MN IA or NE

I assume we are talking same call probably a putt you are talking about never herd a peep ... Kinda sound like puck they will do it lots when they come to calls & then don't see a bird its a kind of I'm here now wear are u call...

All I mainly do is cut & yelp no purrs clucks & I also tend to not yelp lots of yelps in a row I'm a 2-4 yelp guy. .

In my experience in every state except Florida Osceola u can get in in private land for turkey & maybe not the deep deep south states wear turkey hunting is tradition but in Montana Nebraska south Dakota Kansas Wisconsin & a few other states the farmers act like there are to many turkeys they will let u & a few guys hunt... I know powder river & I can't think of the other outfitters name in SE MT locking up lands for turkey but outside of there I think u can score private land call a biologist he will point u in a direction wear farmers don't like turkeys & like hunters...

So you are anti hunting eastern sub species???

I shot 3 species last year in like a lil over 2 wks 3 states killed a bird of each species on public & it did not cost me thousands I camped wear I hunted & also was allowed to hunt 1 killer chunk of private in NE nice rancher...

Most $$$ spent was on gas & hunting license... Takes about 8-9 hours of straight driving to get to the spots I hunted from my door... 10+ to WY For 300$ u can get 3 tags & 3 species... About same amount in gas $$$ gets u into turkey country... Eastern's will be the tuff 1 for you to kill just due to travel distance... Not sure of the Closest to you eastern species wise probably MN IA or NE
The oceola in Florida is not in the cards, the rio in Texas would cost a lot.The eastern, would maybe be possible for me.Id like to try the black hills some day.That country would be a blast to hunt.I did some scouting last summer in the black hills, and saw some great ground. I have hunted Wyoming 3 times, had a great time.I can only afford to hunt a few times in spring , a few times in fall, but I try to get my scouting in, so I don't waste my time out there.

The oceola in Florida is not in the cards, the rio in Texas would cost a lot.The eastern, would maybe be possible for me.Id like to try the black hills some day.That country would be a blast to hunt.I did some scouting last summer in the black hills, and saw some great ground. I have hunted Wyoming 3 times, had a great time.I can only afford to hunt a few times in spring , a few times in fall, but I try to get my scouting in, so I don't waste my time out there.

Then don't hunt with a bow waste of time on average takes 2-3 wounded birds b4 u actually find 1 u shoot...

Why only hunt Texas??? Not much public land in TX... Lots of Rios in KS NE even SD ... KS & NE also have butt loads of eastern's... Bout 120$-130$ gets u 1 or 2 tags...

Florida was a awesome hunt very cool experience that's the only bird I have not harvested yet... Public lands were hunted crazy hard like SD pheasant season opener daily... If u think MT turkey get hunted hard on public Florida not the place for you... We drove down from MN to FL we are turkey nuts we breath turkey hunting...

You could have 2 more sub species in about 4-6 days of hard hunting in NE maybe even KS if u are lucky its really not a expensive hunt by any means...

I found a killer spot in WY black hills SD side I have never bagged 1 in 2 or 3 trips gets hunted harder then WY plus If u do it correct & draw a tag u can bag 2 birds in WY... can hunt the SD prairie shoot hybrids Rio/Merriam's mite be closer for ya... SD sucks you can use rifles in the black hills of SD so so lame...

10 hours from billings get u into another world of turkey hunting. If u are good u can locate & kill a bird or 2 in a WK with no scouting just useing MRI most recent information... Lol

Then don't hunt with a bow waste of time on average takes 2-3 wounded birds b4 u actually find 1 u shoot...

Why only hunt Texas??? Not much public land in TX... Lots of Rios in KS NE even SD ... KS & NE also have butt loads of eastern's... Bout 120$-130$ gets u 1 or 2 tags...

Florida was a awesome hunt very cool experience that's the only bird I have not harvested yet... Public lands were hunted crazy hard like SD pheasant season opener daily... If u think MT turkey get hunted hard on public Florida not the place for you... We drove down from MN to FL we are turkey nuts we breath turkey hunting...

You could have 2 more sub species in about 4-6 days of hard hunting in NE maybe even KS if u are lucky its really not a expensive hunt by any means...

I found a killer spot in WY black hills SD side I have never bagged 1 in 2 or 3 trips gets hunted harder then WY plus If u do it correct & draw a tag u can bag 2 birds in WY... can hunt the SD prairie shoot hybrids Rio/Merriam's mite be closer for ya... SD sucks you can use rifles in the black hills of SD so so lame...

10 hours from billings get u into another world of turkey hunting. If u are good u can locate & kill a bird or 2 in a WK with no scouting just useing MRI most recent information... Lol
Wow- that's hard core, driving from mn. To Florida , that's a CRUISE!!!I guess you and I are into it big time. I know some people who are, it sort of gets in your blood.Those black hills look great, and looks like a lot of public land!!The thing about Montana is, there isn't that much public land, that has lots of birds.

Wow- that's hard core, driving from mn. To Florida , that's a CRUISE!!!I guess you and I are into it big time. I know some people who are, it sort of gets in your blood.Those black hills look great, and looks like a lot of public land!!The thing about Montana is, there isn't that much public land, that has lots of birds.

I got some ideas wear turkeys are in Montana talked to some biologist nwtf guys... Also NW Montana had butt loads of public & birds just gotta draw a tag...

Montana is bull s*** when it come to there bird count turkey wise been same number of birds in MT during droughts & after lol

Out of all my trips to MT in spring I think I seen like 1 hen as I drove around...???

Skip the black hills it not all that great bird number wise tons of public but same as MT not birds in large numbers any 1 spot few here few there SD worse... Go hunt NE there is spots that look same as black hills way way more turkeys...

Last edited:
I got some ideas wear turkeys are in Montana talked to some biologist nwtf guys... Also NW Montana had butt loads of public & birds just gotta draw a tag...

Montana is bull s*** when it come to there bird count turkey wise been same number of birds in MT during droughts & after lol

Out of all my trips to MT in spring I think I seen like 1 hen as I drove around...???

Skip the black hills it not all that great bird number wise tons of public but same as MT not birds in large numbers any 1 spot few here few there SD worse... Go hunt NE there is spots that look same as black hills way way more turkeys...
That chadron area looks good.There has to be some birds in that area. I drove through there about 10 years ago.The thing about Montana is, it's spotty.I know some state places that have birds, but guys come in and drive around with 22's, and that's illegal, and drives them out onto private farms. I set up on a state plsce a few years ago, had a tom coming in before dawn, and some dude drove hid truck to within 100 yards of where I was!! I just picked up, and left the area.Another time, these two good ol boys were driving around in there truck, and spooked a flock of toms that I was scouting . That kind of thing happens all the time on public, and there's nothing you can do.Unfotunatly, Montana has lots of poachers, and those punks take a lot of birds illegally.I guess my point is, private is better, in Montana.

That chadron area looks good.There has to be some birds in that area. I drove through there about 10 years ago.The thing about Montana is, it's spotty.I know some state places that have birds, but guys come in and drive around with 22's, and that's illegal, and drives them out onto private farms. I set up on a state plsce a few years ago, had a tom coming in before dawn, and some dude drove hid truck to within 100 yards of where I was!! I just picked up, and left the area.Another time, these two good ol boys were driving around in there truck, and spooked a flock of toms that I was scouting . That kind of thing happens all the time on public, and there's nothing you can do.Unfotunatly, Montana has lots of poachers, and those punks take a lot of birds illegally.I guess my point is, private is better, in Montana.

Hunted that part of NE lots called in probably 6+ hunters over the years had to many hunts spoiled by guys like u mentioned in chadron area seen guys from probably 15-20 states seriously... Loggers hikers bikers ATV riders horse riders drunk college kids all will spoil a hunt out there plus other idiot hunters... Better off in Wyoming... If u go to chadron u gotta find areas with long long long walks in otherwise birds gobble & run away from you no s***

I'll take my chances in Montana low hunter numbers compared to NE I've had guys come in on my dad & I and shoot birds off the roost on us total illegal red neck stuff...

I'll meet ya in chadron & share some spots if u do the same in Montana lol that's a close drive for me if I'm already I'm NE or Wyoming

Back