dogs in the motel rooms?

gps4

how common is it for SD hotels/motels to let dogs in the rooms?

I'm planning a free lance pheasant trip this fall in east SD and want to find dog friendly accommodations. any particular motels/hotels i should check out?

Thanks in advance.

This may sound crazy, but pick a motel in the location you plan to hunt and call them. If they say no to dogs ask for a recommendation from them on dog friendly motel.

You can search expedia and other search engines "pet friendly". I then call them and ask and sometimes call before I go out there to double check.

If everyone treated a hotel room with respect ... hunters and dogs would be more welcome.

I have noticed it is the smaller and locally owned (franchised) places that more readily accept pets.

The new chains come in ... HIExpress, Fairfield, Hilton Garden Inn to these mid-sized towns squeeze out the little guy and have no intention of accepting pets and lack some of the basic things a traveling hunter needs.

The Kelly Inn in Mitchell is dog friendly and is a nice place to stay. They have a lot of yard so you can walk your dog around. If you are going farther west, the Howard Johnson in Oacoma is a really nice place and they welcome dogs. They charge $10 a night for your dog. They also have a big yard to walk your dog.

Never had a real issue in S.D. In many motels-in fact have stayed those mentioned above several times.
‘As stated if hunters/dog owners used and took responsibility with some common sense measures-it would help
1. Clean up after your dog !! 2. Never leave dog in room unattended 3. Don’t let dog become nuisance to other guest by barking-in hallways ect.
I also traveled with a old sheet or blanket to cover the beds in the room out of respect for house keepers-
Also for the most part motels that don’t allow dogs during pheasant season-can look across their near empty lots to their competitors full lots that allow dogs-
‘But call ahead and check an way

Stayed at a Super Deluxe Inn at De Smet South Dakota last year dogs were welcome had a cleaning room for birds and a couple of freezers to put your birds in. Believe we have it booked again this year. Just like the above post pick up after your dog and we also brought along blankets to cover the couch and beds.

I've stayed in motels with dogs from Kansas to the Canadian border while pheasant hunting. Generally speaking the mom and pop's are in the smaller towns closer to the better hunting. Some of those can be iffy but others are wonderful. Have one we have been staying at for over 25 years, they save their deluxe room for us at no extra charge.(we don't hunt the first week of season) . Don't even comment about multiple dogs (now 4, been up to 6) knew how the night desk clerks kids are doing and how our maid's cancer is in remission. The maintenance guy helped me repair my cartop carrier. Call ahead, ask around and be respectful and if you by chance run into a ringer as most of us do at times let the rest of us know so we can stay clear.

Hey gps, I wouldn't worry about it. Find an area you want to hunt and I'm sure there'll be accommodating dog friendly hotels/motels nearby. I went for the first time last January and called around and dogs were welcome most everywhere. I stayed at Best Western Huron and they allow dogs for $10 dollar pet fee a day.

Attachments

• 20210123_193711 (1).jpg
    20210123_193711 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
I was up in NW SD several years ago at a "real nice" place. I took a pic of the sign they had (which I can't find now), I can't remember the exact wordage, but it was something like "Pets $50, you lie $100"...made me laugh! Maybe others have seen it. There was a bug about a big as a nickel, dead on the bath room floor also, I remember taking a pic of that too and thinking they must use a powerful insecticide here. It was a one-and-done place for me. Choices in many of the small towns are quite limited and quality varies widely.

I haven't really found one in SD that does not allow pets. I'm sure there's some nicer hotel chains that don't though. I have started to prefer the $50-75ish motels that really aren't very nice, but allow me to park right outside the room. Very convenient for loading and unloading gear right outside your door, making a slight mess, etc. Lots of them are very hunter friendly and even have a place to clean birds (or fish) somewhere.

The Kelly Inn in Mitchell is dog friendly and is a nice place to stay. They have a lot of yard so you can walk your dog around. If you are going farther west, the Howard Johnson in Oacoma is a really nice place and they welcome dogs. They charge $10 a night for your dog. They also have a big yard to walk your dog.
I will second the Kelly Inn. Told them I had 2 dogs, charged me for one. I had heard they were going to become a Best Western...anyone else hear that?

Back