Dogs in the heat/cold

Maybe I'm just over thinking everything but I can't decide what to do. I'd like to get a camper shell. Right now I have a big diamond deluxe box. It too big honestly. So I'll prolly get rid of it. Now my delima is ... with a camper shell what to do box wise when it's hot out. I also run coonhounds most of the year unless it's extremely hot. But I'm trying to decide on getting a smaller 2 hole diamond deluxe box or two gunner kennels. I know diamond boxes stay very warm in the winter. I don't know about a covered gunner kennel tho. Now I know during the summer my diamond deluxe box actually stays fairly cool even when extremely hot out (over 100). But I'm guess I'm just looking for advice or opinions. Will gunner kennels be too hot during the summer? Should I just forget about a camper shell? Can't decide! It's driving me crazy :confused:

Maybe I'm just over thinking everything but I can't decide what to do. I'd like to get a camper shell. Right now I have a big diamond deluxe box. It too big honestly. So I'll prolly get rid of it. Now my delima is ... with a camper shell what to do box wise when it's hot out. I also run coonhounds most of the year unless it's extremely hot. But I'm trying to decide on getting a smaller 2 hole diamond deluxe box or two gunner kennels. I know diamond boxes stay very warm in the winter. I don't know about a covered gunner kennel tho. Now I know during the summer my diamond deluxe box actually stays fairly cool even when extremely hot out (over 100). But I'm guess I'm just looking for advice or opinions. Will gunner kennels be too hot during the summer? Should I just forget about a camper shell? Can't decide! It's driving me crazy :confused:

Get a fan for the camper shell. I have 2 pickups, one with a topper and one with out. With a topper I might opt for the Ruff Tuff Kennels. Or if you are wanting a new dog box, look at a Houndsman Deluxe from Deer Creek. They are superior in every way to the Diamond kennels. And less expensive.

I bought a old Toyota 4 runner for $2k. If my dogs get hot, I turn up the AC, if my dogs get cold, I turn up the heat. But then, I am a simple man.

Yes, both have their own charms, but having my dogs inside the vehicle with me, relieves me of unnecessary anxiety. If we go down, we go down together, not with me watching dog boxes tumbling down the highway.

I have only used SUV's. I like my dog being out of the elements while traveling. I'm about to get my second dog. My plan is to hunt them together. Haven't figured out a solution if I want to hunt one at a time in one day. On my Monday hunt, it got up to 73 deg in mid January. I can't leave a dog in the SUV on a day like that.

I have only used SUV's. I like my dog being out of the elements while traveling. I'm about to get my second dog. My plan is to hunt them together. Haven't figured out a solution if I want to hunt one at a time in one day. On my Monday hunt, it got up to 73 deg in mid January. I can't leave a dog in the SUV on a day like that.

I use a collapsible, wire metal dog box, one the air can flow through freely, find a spot that will stay in the shade and put the dog in it, outside in the fresh air. For the box I use inside the vehicle, I mounted a 12v fan in the top and wired it to the vehicle system so I can flip it on when needed.

Does the glass not open on the back of the SUV? Either that or just leave the back open. I do that all the time when I take my wife's SUV. Just open the glass. Or roll the windows down.

Back