Dogs feet

BigRand

After reading some of the recent threads I was wondering what are some things folks do to toughen up their dogs feet for hunting season. I know here in SD the sloughs as well as hunting in the snow can wreak havoc on a dogs pads. I personally have taken to going on jogs on gravel roads.

I take my dog running with my bicycle on asphalt bike paths so her pads are pretty toughened up. I've really never had an issue with dogs pads in SD. The exception might be crusted snow. That can be tough on the webbing between the toes. About the only remedy there is to use dog boots.

I take my dog running with my bicycle on asphalt bike paths so her pads are pretty toughened up. I've really never had an issue with dogs pads in SD. The exception might be crusted snow. That can be tough on the webbing between the toes. About the only remedy there is to use dog boots.

I play fetch with Frisbee or kong on mixed ground...asphalt, grass, gravel. The kong works best if they are avid retrievers. The random bounce causes them to dig into the ground and change direction. I have frequently had to stop because of bleeding or sore pads.

Had a sloughed pad my second year with my dog but since starting this regiment we have never had a problem. going on his 6th season. This is to include chukar, pheasant and grouse habitat.

I do this once or twice a week during the off-season. I started 3-4 times a week a month prior to season start and go for trail runs off leash. I do 2-3 miles, they do 9-12.

I know here in SD the sloughs as well as hunting in the snow can wreak havoc on a dogs pads. I personally have taken to going on jogs on gravel roads.

Yeah that's hard on them. Add to it the dust that settles on the cover from all the gravel roads. It acts like sand paper on their paws, chest, and facial areas.:eek:

By the end of our trip, our dogs look like they spent 9 rounds in the ring with Rockie Balboa.

Nick

Whatever you do, start early.

One year I ended up blowing a pad on my dog a week before a trip because I was trying to push his conditioning.

no matter the conditioning, just buy soft dog boots from dogbooties.com.
a little expensive, wear out after 2 or 3 days, but worth every dime you spend. then your worries are over.

Back