dog wont leave yard birds alone?

gobucks

Guess its just more frustrating than anything, but my GSP wants to point sparrows or anything else that flys and after they fly he wants to folow them around the field. Do they grow out of it? he's never been on a trip where he gets onto alot of pheasants like in the dakotas so im hoping after we harvest alot of birds someday he figures out what it is were after. thinking about buying a bunch of pen raised birds next year also. I guess its good that he likes birds.

A good thing

I have a GSP and he will chase birds all day. but if we can ever find the real thing he does a great job. We are lucky we have dogs that hunt. It would be real hard to deal with dogs that aren't birdy . I think we have a good problem. Good Luck

I say "what's the problem"! I like a birdy dog. If their flyer oriented, it keeps their mind on birds not deer, rabbits. The sparrows we used to call "stink sparrows", they are irresistible to young dogs. A few successful hunts, he grow out and become an adult. You'll miss the pup, more than you think! I remember the best All-Age pointer I owned, she locked up on butterflies, even their shadows on cement, all day! I thought she was cracked, but she was a fire breather in the field.

I think that's a pretty good problem to have. I have a 6 year old GSP that's far and away the best bird dog I've every had and he still points birds off our deck, and any where he can.
I can't tell you how many times he has pointed a robin while going out the back door, and my wife or I have to move his back half out to close the door.
Most will grow out of that sort of thing when they get older. Sounds like you have a keeper on your hands. Good luck.

I agree they will grow out of it. Although I had a 10 year old that would still occasionally cat walk on a robin or two from time to time.

Just ignore the whole thing and they will eventually do the same.

It's a fairly common occurrence to look at the back window and see one of my Setters pointing a butterfly or grasshopper and the other three backing. It hasn't created problems in the field that I am aware of. Freaks the neighbors out but they are not bird dog people.

I believe the OP was frustrated with his dog's pointing of birds while out hunting, which is how I took it. His explanation of " yard birds" referred to the type more than their location. His frustration arose out of the dog doing this while out hunting. If starting a young dog out in some areas this year bird contact could be tough. Bird exposure makes dogs regardless of dog type or style. I would suggest that you get him on as many birds as possible. He will figure it out.

Back