Dog Trailer??

goldeneye

Anyone own a dog trailer?
What would you change if you bought another one?
Who makes the best ones now adays?? Help me with Ideas there alot of Ca$h if I by new. I just want to do this once.

I have use my friends before (UPH get together day) and like his but I would make it a two dog for more storage. then I could use it for family camping also.

UPHday009.jpg

Dealing with that my self. But don't go down to a two dog. That one could have been aranged better to suit you. You will find plenty of use for the 4 with friends or even new pups etc. Top storage is nice and with preasurized water. Fans etc. Drawer compartments are nice for shells and that stuff, guns and so on. Stainless on the inside is nice, cause the aluminum will rub off on the dogs and turn them grey. It is nice to have a extended rack platform out the back for a few bird crates, and acts as a bumper as well if some one runs into you. Side doors instead of rear, just incase you forget to latch one, you can see it in the mirror, and all your stuff is not laying on the road for miles.:D Insulated. Some have just bars inside. I would get it with a partition up half way at least, that way if one has an accident it does not really affect the other dogs if it is caulked or sealed. Stainless frame or aluminum so the frame does not rust out leaving you with a nice box on a rusted frame.

I have an ancient Miley 8 hole trailer that has served me well for about 13 years. It has mesh partitions, and yes, the males tend to mark their neighbors at times. The solid partitions would help. Mine doesn't have storage, that would be a must in a new trailer. I worry about water storage with the weather we have here. I often have jugs of water freeze when I'm hunting. Mine is mild steel. A lighter material will keep you from getting stuck as often. Make sure the tongue is long enough. Nothing worse than something you can't back up in a tight spot. Removeable or closeable louvers would be nice. I've threatened to Rhino line the front of mine to reduce the effects of rocks thrown by the truck. I had a whitetail buck try to make it between my pickup and trailer this season. He left a couple of dents and lost his breeding drive permanently over the deal. Otherwise, the trailer took the his and survived better than I was worried it would when I got stopped. Some kind of torsion axle to provide a smooth ride is important. Some of my dogs run for the truck tailgate instead of the trailer because they prefer to ride in the truck. When you get a dog into a skunk, it's nice to have the trailer.

Last edited:
Dealing with that my self. But don't go down to a two dog. That one could have been aranged better to suit you. You will find plenty of use for the 4 with friends or even new pups etc.

the one I am looking at getting made for me would be a four dog with the back two dog boxes removeable for more storage. I would like one more dog but need storage area. If money wasn't a issue things would be easier not as fun but easier. I like the idea of side doors only no back ones also.

@ parieDrifter
For a steel trailer that one looks in good shape yet. I like the ideas I'm just trying to get a one trailer does it all thing. Most of the fun is looking I'm just suprised there are not more used ones out there for sale. Then I could just mod. one to fit my needs.

I have an old Jones? dog trailer. Don't know for sure because I never found a plate with Manufacturer's info. It's a six dog. Mesh interior partitions, outside mesh ventilation, with fold up solid covers, spring loaded lever locks on the doors, lockable, front horse trailer type vents, has front box and rear key locked, over the top storage for guns and ammo. It is all steel, bulldog hitch, pulls like a dream. I cannot tell you how much easier it is to travel with dogs, after years of having dogs in crates, in SUV's, or in truckbed dog boxes, this is the best. I have had the skunk issue, would have been really unpleasant without the trailer. Could still smell the dog inside the motel while in the trailer! I worry about dust on dry country roads, but it was an issue with the truck box as well. About half my dogs, ( it's more than six, but I refuse to answer on the grounds it might incriminate me with my wife, she refuses to count as it is now, but has been known to read my blogs), prefer the trailer to riding in the car, and all load themselves willingly, with the door open, so the ride must not be to severe. As long as I have birddogs, I'll have a trailer. If I had one special lab, like I used to, I'd probably let him ride loose in the cab, and go everywhere. The french britts I have now would leap out, scatterr, and try to hunt the HyVee parking lot if allowed to ride in the cab.

I seen a real good-lookin' one at Cabela's, but I can't remember the manufacturer's name. It appeared to be really functional. Of course, it cost your first-born to buy, but it sure looked nice, inside and out. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop in and see if they have one there.

I seen a real good-lookin' one at Cabela's, but I can't remember the manufacturer's name. It appeared to be really functional. Of course, it cost your first-born to buy, but it sure looked nice, inside and out. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop in and see if they have one there.

Would you do that I would like to know the name of the company. Crow River use to sell at Cabela's when they were making them but now the Cabela's by me does not sell any dog trailers.

I pulled the plug and bought a trailer. When I get it today I will put up a couple pictures.:D

the trailer came from NorthStar Plastic.
4 hole dog trailer. the weight is around 1000 pounds pulls great the dog boxes are insulated 1 1/2" thick has a lifetime warranty the rear storage is 5' x 4'
the best part is it was made in MN the way I wanted it.:thumbsup:
can't wait to try this out more in the fall. Also means I need at least one more pup to even the weight in the trailer:D
006-1.jpg

007.jpg

Yeah, Goldeneye, you wouldn't want the new trailer crabbing all over the road with an unbalanced load! You'll need to get that other hole filled quickly! Better for the tire wear:) Nice trailer.

Lee, that looks like a mighty fine trailer. You'll have to put it to use and head out to SD for some pheasant hunting. Or at least out to the western MN area.

What are the holes above the fenders? What's it look like a 6 dog.

What are the holes above the fenders? What's it look like a 6 dog.

It started as a six hole but I wanted the more storage. I left the doors on just incase I wanted to bolt in a dog box or something.
I need to build a Alum. Rack over the trailer for my duck boat and add a reciever hitch on the rear so I can haul kids bikes and use it for camping also.

the trailer came from NorthStar Plastic.
4 hole dog trailer. the weight is around 1000 pounds pulls great the dog boxes are insulated 1 1/2" thick has a lifetime warranty the rear storage is 5' x 4'
the best part is it was made in MN the way I wanted it.:thumbsup:
can't wait to try this out more in the fall. Also means I need at least one more pup to even the weight in the trailer:D
006-1.jpg

007.jpg

sweet!!:coolpics::thumbsup:

All I will say is I hope she never sells it for what I told her I paid for it. :D

All I will say is I hope she never sells it for what I told her I paid for it. :D

You just left yourself wide open to a little "blackmail" from anyone on this site! :eek:

You just left yourself wide open to a little "blackmail" from anyone on this site! :eek:

I bought a bottle of Forty Creek on Sat.:thumbsup: Does that help? (Buddy)

Back