Dog temperment has changed since his first hunt

Jordan54

I took my 1 year old GSP on a hunting trip to South Dakots for the first time this year. He did really good, but since we have been back he's been different. He is way more mellow and just seems his hole tempermant has changed..he is not hyper..lays around seems perfectly healthy eating fine no loose stool..Everyhting seems good. except he is so mellow now..Has anyone expierenced this before? I remember my breeder once telling me that once the dogs figure out what they are suppose to do in life..like hunt..that they change a little bit.. Is that true? Don't get me wrong I like him this way. but wondering if I should take him to the vet. Thanks

How long you been back from your SD trip? I ask because if you had been back mere hours or a day when you posted the above, I would say your dog is just tired. If you posted well after any recovery time for the dog, what happened is he got his mind right doing what he was bred to do. How's that for scientific explanation? :D

Last edited:
I took my 1 year old GSP on a hunting trip to South Dakots for the first time this year. He did really good, but since we have been back he's been different. He is way more mellow and just seems his hole tempermant has changed..he is not hyper..lays around seems perfectly healthy eating fine no loose stool..Everyhting seems good. except he is so mellow now..Has anyone expierenced this before? I remember my breeder once telling me that once the dogs figure out what they are suppose to do in life..like hunt..that they change a little bit.. Is that true? Don't get me wrong I like him this way. but wondering if I should take him to the vet. Thanks

LOL...sounds like me. I was somewhat high strung and hyper before my SD trip. I'm back now and am mello with a temperment change. :)

Seriously, keep an eye on him, but my guess is he is just resting up from his trip. Day after day of hunting will wear a pup out.

Mellow Yellow Lab

Yep, I started taking my lab to a local game preserve/kennel for a puppy gun dog class when she was around 4 months old. Almost immediately, her temperament changed. She went from borderline out of control to mellow yellow lab, much to my wife's delight. I think once she figured out what her purpose was, she relaxed and started enjoying life more :)

Thanks for the replies.. I have been home for 6 days..So I'll wait another week before I take him in.. but my breeder said the same as you FSHBYFLY, That once he figured his purpose out that he would mello a little. if that sticks my wife will be happy :) As long as he doesn't lose his drive to hunt I could care less either way.

Back