Dog Friendly

pheasantaddict

How many outfitters and lodges are there in SD, ND, and Kansas? I would dare to say less than 1% allow your hunting companion free reign in your room. If anyone is considering starting a pheasant operation, seperate yourself from the others and build small cabins with concrete floors where hunters and dogs can reside after chasing birds.

Good idea, my dog should stay inside me.

Good idea, my dog should stay inside me.

this is off topic but the way you said that sentence... made me laugh.. :cheers:

hopefully you mean the dog can stay inside WITH you.. instead of stay inside you...

:beer:

back on topic..

yes, i hate knowing my dog cant be in the same room with me when im away from home in a hotel. i mean this is an easy target for anyone whos wanting a free gun dog to dogknap and run off with you sleeping comfortable in your room.

i wouldnt want Sophia sitting in my truck sleeping, or in a kennel that the hotel has which could not be safe either. shes gonna sleep in the same room as i do knowing shes safe.

Oops I guess that did sound funny.:eek: My editor is on vacation. He can stay inside WITH me but not inside me. Hell he's never even bought me dinner!:D

I travel from Georgia to Kansas every year to hunt pheasants and my dog is my biggest concern during the whole trip. I usually take 2 days to drive there and 2 days back.....I can't remember the name of the hotel chain I stay in going and coming, but they allow pets in the room. I always take my dog in with me while on the road. When I get to Kansas where I hunt....I am still worried, but most everyone there has dogs... and I guess I don't worry as much!!!! But it's still an easy target. Given the chance.......I had rather stay in a motel and back my truck up in front of the very room I am staying in.....my dog is a little vocal when approached by strangers....that way I can at least have a chance if someone were to try and take my dog!!!!!!!

You can do a search for "Dog Friendly Hotels" on google. There are several sites which give you the various chains that allow dogs in your room and the rules. A few of the sites actually have trip planners on them where you can map your route with the hotels on them.

a few years back i was calling motels to check if dogs were ok inside,most were happy to have them there but 1 in kansas city ask what i was going to do there ,i said i was hunting . they said the dog was ok but NO GUNS.

i must have called that guy everthing i could think of,he said he was going to call the head office on me , anyway i called the corp office and told them about it

sorry i got pissssed thinking about this again.........anyway they gave me 3 free nights at any motel i wanted

Quail Hound...I just thought you were having a Zen moment and becoming one with the dog!

Hmmm.. and I've found many, if not most of the smaller, privately owned motels in western Kansas, to be exceptionally 'dog friendly' during the season. I don't think I would patronize one that refused my dog/dogs.

Last edited:
i primarily hunt Kansas every season and seldom have a problem getting a room with my 2 dogs. most motel operators understand, those that do not will not earn my business!

I'm not asking about motels or hotels that are dog friendly, but actual pheasant hunting operations. The places where you are hunting at.

Hey Groch, where do you find the four beds that are dog friendly? My hotel just changed owners agian and have limited their dog rooms to about four. They will sure loose alot of hunters this year.

Does anyone hunt at or know a lodge that allows a dog in the room or cabin?

PA, I might know someone........:D

Yes, some of our pheasant camps so aloow dogs in the room/building with you. You are spot on when you give advice to startups. I am finding this a very importnat aspect of the amenities if not even a deal breaker for some.

J Bar one camp and Wolf Creek is another that will require a damage deposit. Others will at least let you have them inside in a carrier kennel.

Hmmm.. and I've found many, if not most of the smaller, privately owned motels in western Kansas, to be exceptionally 'dog friendly' during the season. I don't think I would patronize one that refused my dog/dogs.

Grouch, that dogbeds photo is a hoot. Reminds me of the old Iowa and super 8 days where 3 shorthairs got the bed and I got the floor. Don't miss those days.

Hey Groch, where do you find the four beds that are dog friendly? My hotel just changed owners agian and have limited their dog rooms to about four. They will sure loose alot of hunters this year.
I think it was called the "El Camino".. in Hugoton RT. Benny (the owner) is one super-nice guy. He took fantastic care of us last year. Including setting up a cleaning station out back. I woud suggest booking ahead if possible, he fills up in a hurry. :thumbsup:

Grouch, that dogbeds photo is a hoot. Reminds me of the old Iowa and super 8 days where 3 shorthairs got the bed and I got the floor. Don't miss those days.
Hee hee he.. "caught red handed".. ;) I snapped that picture when we returned from dinner one evening. None of those dogs are allowed on the furniture at home, and weren't on the beds when we left to eat. They sure adapt to traveling quick..:p

A friend of mine hunts with his stud dog and carries a copy of the insurance coverage he has on the dog. Because of the number of pups this dog turns out in a years time the coverage is for five figures. He says that when a motel refuses to let the dog in the room, he shows them the insurance paper and reminds them that if his dog is missing in the morning they will be held liable for the loss. He says because of this he sleeps with his dog eveywhere when on the road. Personally I havnt had any trouble anywhere as of yet.

Back