Dog friendly motel

rattman

Hi Guys,

I will be passing through the NE area of the state and, finally, have a chance to chase the dog around. Does any one have a suggestion for a pooch friendly (allows dogs in the room) motel in the Concordia/Belleville/Marysville area? Will be arriving on Friday (1/10) and staying until Sunday. I'd rather get my dog a few chances to point some birds than watch the Donks vs the Chargers. Any suggestions- both positive and negative- for lodging will be appreciated.

Ratt

There's a hotel on the north side of Concordia, I think they'll let you have dogs in for a couple of extra dollars per night/per dog.

I wouldn't expect much for birds, though.

There's a hotel on the north side of Concordia, I think they'll let you have dogs in for a couple of extra dollars per night/per dog.

I wouldn't expect much for birds, though.

Used to be the Thunderbird, I believe it has changed names now. My dogs always stayed in the rooms with me. A friend stayed there earlier this year with no probs.

It's a bit further west, but the hotel on the east end of Mankato allows pets in the room at no extra charge. The owners are also very pleasant.

pets

watch out for the bed bugs, they will get ya fer sure, probably add entertainment as you won't get much shooting, good luck anyway

cheers

Thanks for your suggestions. I booked a room at the Rodeway Inn in Concordia- $7/night extra for the pup. It's on the north side of town and I'm hoping that it's the same one that was suggested. I understand the caveat about expectations for success but I don't know of any area of Kansas where that would not hold true this year. I worked out of Marysville on a pipeline project several years ago and like the hilly terrain and wooded creeek bottoms. I always laugh when someone tells me that Kansas is dull and not pretty. I'm hoping to get my setter into some quail but don't plan on doing any shooting unless the covey/s exceed 12 birds. Roosters would be a bonus.

If anyone is planning a hunt in NW (truely grim numbers of birds there), the Homesteader in St Francis and the It'll Do Motel in Atwood are both dog friendly. Again, thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.

ratt

Mine got in a fight at 2:00 AM in our room one time. Talk about bringing you out of bed. That was the last time I shared a room.

Thanks for your suggestions. I booked a room at the Rodeway Inn in Concordia- $7/night extra for the pup. It's on the north side of town and I'm hoping that it's the same one that was suggested. I understand the caveat about expectations for success but I don't know of any area of Kansas where that would not hold true this year. I worked out of Marysville on a pipeline project several years ago and like the hilly terrain and wooded creeek bottoms. I always laugh when someone tells me that Kansas is dull and not pretty. I'm hoping to get my setter into some quail but don't plan on doing any shooting unless the covey/s exceed 12 birds. Roosters would be a bonus.

If anyone is planning a hunt in NW (truely grim numbers of birds there), the Homesteader in St Francis and the It'll Do Motel in Atwood are both dog friendly. Again, thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.

ratt

That was the one. There is a bird cleaning room at the east end of the motel. I've never used them, but they also have outside kennels.

Quick update:

I hunted out of Concordia for 2 days before the frustration of dealing with muddy and impassible roads got to me. I probably deposited 100 lbs of mud from Cloud, Clay, Republic and Washington counties in the bays of the Concordia quarter car wash. I did find a couple of covies and had some nice dog work so I was successful in that regard. The covies there were small (8-10 birds) so I did not shoot them down in the hope that they will pull off nice broods for next season. No pheasants were seen in that area. I headed further west (much dryer) and was surprised to find two large covies (20+ birds) and a few roosters. I ended up with 2 pheasants and 3 quail for my efforts.

Anyway, the motel was great and the people out there were very nice. Thanks, again, for the help.

ratt

Back