Dog First Aid Kit for the Field

steelbull85

I read an article the other day about a guy who took his dog upland hunting, and they got in a bad situation where the dog got torn up pretty bad from some barbed wire. Fortunately, he had a well stocked survival kit in his truck and was able to stitch his dog up which probably ended up saving it's life. It got me thinking about what supplies should you have in your vehicle/vest for when you take the field. I think I personally would have, gauze, antiseptic, bandages, some way of creating a tourniquet, tweezers, a kit for stitches, maybe skin staples, and probably something to flush eyes.

What about you guys? Anything in particular you take to the field with you?

I have an extensive med kit, and have needed it more than once.

Last fall while pheasant hunting my dog Indy got a very bad wound. I think he ran into the end of a steel fence post that had been bent over by a tractor. This was actually more of an injury than you want to treat on your own. He stayed at the vet with I.V. fluids that night. Was afraid I was going to loose him.

But a med kit is really important. Whether it is to dress of flush a wound, clean stuff out of their eyes, or staple a large cut,...... you should have a med kit for your dog.

If you hunt a lot sooner or later your dog will need some patching up. In my case Indy manages to cut himself up with some degree of regularity.

Brad,

As you well know, spend enough time afield and your K-9 friend is going to get injured.Most of these wounds will be minor, but as you stated it's better to be prepared. Your list is a pretty good one with most of what the average guy can administer in the field.
I think training your pup so you can handle him in these type of situations is priceless. He has to trust you 100% and know that your hands are sacred and are only going to help him. You can train with him for these type of things just a few minutes at a time.
It is VERY important that you know how to use the first aid items that you have, most good kits come with books that cover the basics, take time to read them.

Keep your Vets number handy and know where the local Vets are in the area that you are hunting.
Good Posts, it's a reminder to all of us to be ready!:thumbsup:

Your list is a good one and should cover yourself for when your in the field. Good post and hopefully it will encourage some of us that are not properly prepared to get prepared.

Thanks Zeb - that is a great thread! I didn't even think to check the bird dog forum before asking the question. I appreciate you chiming in!

Gave me a bunch of good ideas before hunting season.

So I read through the post Zeb suggested and I have one quick question. Where is the best place to buy the supplies for your first aid kit? Thanks

So I read through the post Zeb suggested and I have one quick question. Where is the best place to buy the supplies for your first aid kit? Thanks

eBay or Amazon are good places to find stuff. Think I have gotten most of my stuff off eBay. Cheaper than the local farm store.

My dad has been a volunteer EMT/Paramedic/Firefighter for years and he would always grab me expired supplies from the ambulance that they were going to throw out. Used to keep them in the truck for my dog (or me for that matter) when hunting or camping. If you have a buddy that is a Volunteer FF/EMT it might be worth an ask, just a thought.

Back