DOG BOOTS

HS Strut

Okay, what do you guys use when they're needed? I bought some at Cablelas in Mitchell last year while killing time. They're some kinda cloth like blaze orange material with velcro at the top. Anybody ever use that style with success...meaning didn't lose them? How about the black rubber style?

The only time I’ve had to use them, I used the inner tube ones. I’m considering buying some from dogbooties.com based off recommendations from lots of folks here just to have in case. Seems like they would be a lot easier to put on than the others.

I bought a blaze orange set of (I think) nylon cordura with Velcro tops from Ugly Dog Supply a couple of years ago. Haven't lost any yet BUT I tape the top of each boot with duck tape--not on the hair but on the boot. It definitely helps keep them on. I take them off just as soon as we're done hunting. Another reason to tape the top is, it HELPS keep the grass and chaff out. But it's alomst inevitable that some trash will get in anyway.
Where we hunt in SD, (Indian Res, FT. Thompson and north of Onida) there are rocks, low cactus like plants, etc. and the boots keep his paws from bruising.

I run boots 75%of the time, motorcycle inter tubes work great, cheap and replaceable. Good vid online for instructions. Best pair I’ve ever bought and still use on a large footed dog are Lewis vented dog boots. Both good options if taped on correctly.

I bought a blaze orange set of (I think) nylon cordura with Velcro tops from Ugly Dog Supply a couple of years ago. Haven't lost any yet BUT I tape the top of each boot with duck tape--not on the hair but on the boot. It definitely helps keep them on. I take them off just as soon as we're done hunting. Another reason to tape the top is, it HELPS keep the grass and chaff out. But it's alomst inevitable that some trash will get in anyway.
Where we hunt in SD, (Indian Res, FT. Thompson and north of Onida) there are rocks, low cactus like plants, etc. and the boots keep his paws from bruising.
I have used boots in the past that one of the wives made at a minimal cost. Used various materials- cordura, canvas,nylon but the best was boot I bought online that were made from a stretchy nylon cotton- unfortunately they are out of business. Whe I questioned them about the light weight material they told me the thickness was not that important since you were mainly trying to put a barrier between the paw and the ground. Made sense since our dogs were footsore more than injuries from rocks or cactus
If I were to make them again I would use a lightweight cordura with two rows of Velcro

Dogbooties . Com is what I use with the stretchy velcro.
You will lose boots, period. Buy extra but spend some time learning how to put them on before your trip and to acclimate your pup to them.
Also, learn from my mistake- use them the first few days if your trip not the last few days when its too late and your pups feet are raw and sore. Been there too many times. I never learn

I like the dogbooties .com for their ease of putting on and not caring if you lose one or wear through them. They don't hold up well for long days though. The lewis dog boots are great if you know you need them and take the time to put them on in the morning but you will lose one occasionally.

I heartily second the idea of using the boots first--no point in waiting till your dog is hurting. Also, definitely put them on a few times before the trip; they'll feel very awkward at first to the dog but they do get used to them. Once you remove them, be sure to clean out each boot thoroughly and dry them the best you can before putting them on the dog again.

I heartily second the idea of using the boots first--no point in waiting till your dog is hurting. Also, definitely put them on a few times before the trip; they'll feel very awkward at first to the dog but they do get used to them. Once you remove them, be sure to clean out each boot thoroughly and dry them the best you can before putting them on the dog again.
Proper boot size and proper taping makes all the difference, making a hotspot or blister will ruin the next day as fast as a cactus. I really like inter tube boots, the flex really well.

Appreciate the feedback. Only reason I would use them is if we get into an area with sand spurs. I HATE those things as much as my dog does.

Appreciate the feedback. Only reason I would use them is if we get into an area with sand spurs. I HATE those things as much as my dog does.
If sand spurs are the issue, you can’t beat inter tubes… I hate them with you, but quail love them

If you can find them, Lewis Dog Boots are the best. I've never lost one but do tape them to the foot.

Lewis boots are effective but must be modified. They are not cut down for the stoppers on the front legs; you have to do it yourself. Must wrap a cushioning tape around the ankle to prevent them from cutting and chafing too. J & J makes a tacky wrap that works very well. Usually have to order two sizes, the larger for the front. My brittanys used large for front and medium rear.

I would not boot for just burrs unless they immobilize your dog. Rocky terrain as when chukar hunting, yes,

Back