Do you hunt a pregnant dog????

BleuBijou

Was told by my Vet to not hunt with my GSP as she might be pregnant. The stress and the fact that GSP's are for the most part always hunting and running hard and if something happened that they do not naturally abort and surgery would be required. She is around the 28 day mark and she could palpatate at day 30 or x-ray at day 45. I should be able to tell at day 45 anyway, would rather do that so I can see how many of the little buggers are there any way's. I know there is a blood test as well, but This is not always accurate!! Is there anyone who has heard different on hunting their dogs while pregnant. I know some people will hunt them any way and they do still need exercise!

your vet is full of it i have always hunted my pregnant females on some occasions right up until the week before they welp and never hade any problems

Magpie is pregnant on day 24 right now. She pointed both of my roosters yesterday. Yes, don't over stress them. However, research has shown that she'll throw better pups if hunted during pregnancy. During her last trimester it's time for her to enjoy the hearth.

your vet is full of it i have always hunted my pregnant females on some occasions right up until the week before they welp and never hade any problems

GCB, That is because you don't know they are knocked up and you keep running them because they are fat and you think they need more exercise!!!!LOL

Magpie is pregnant on day 24 right now. She pointed both of my roosters yesterday. Yes, don't over stress them. However, research has shown that she'll throw better pups if hunted during pregnancy. During her last trimester it's time for her to enjoy the hearth.

Thanks, PD, good to hear all the info and experiences first hand!!!:thumbsup:

now your full of it and it still wont hurt here course she is one of the colorado coonhounds she may need to stay home :D

I think I will leave her at home and get into my guille suit and sneak up on them!!! Coonhound??? You know my dog to well!!LOL

Just thought I might blend in with the locals!!!!!LOL

I hunted/worked my female when she was pregnant. If you think about it in the wild they would still need to be hunting to get food and what not. I don't think hunting them during pregnancy is a bad thing if done in moderation. I didn't over do it by no means an trust me she will let you know when enough is enough. You may notice later in the pregnancy that she discharges more after running some, no need to worry. I believe that whatever the mom see/smells is on a direct pipeline to the pups while they are inside. I actually showed my female working some birds for another guy on this site just days before she whelped. My female gave birth to 8 healthy pups. By now you should also be able to lay your dog on its side and apply a pretty good amount of pressure just behind and up under the ribs to feel the pups(about the size of a walnut). Also let me know what you ended up breeding her with via pm please I am interested since our dogs share much of the same blood. Take care and enjoy.

Depends on how your dogs works.

As a general rule my cutoff is the last two to three weeks. They can get pretty stressed out physically if carrying a full load. You have to decide if hunting a few extra days is worth the risk to your dog and pups. It is important to keep your dog active to some degree before pups hit the ground. That said I would recommend a walk as opposed to an aggressive hunt for a female in the last two weeks of pregnancy.

Good Luck

PRG

Was told by my Vet to not hunt with my GSP as she might be pregnant. The stress and the fact that GSP's are for the most part always hunting and running hard and if something happened that they do not naturally abort and surgery would be required. She is around the 28 day mark and she could palpatate at day 30 or x-ray at day 45. I should be able to tell at day 45 anyway, would rather do that so I can see how many of the little buggers are there any way's. I know there is a blood test as well, but This is not always accurate!! Is there anyone who has heard different on hunting their dogs while pregnant. I know some people will hunt them any way and they do still need exercise!

That is the good advise. I think the vet would know best. Watch the arm chair vets they will get you some still born pups...:eek:let the dog run around the yard or in a field for exercise.Hunting would be a bit overkill.

Last edited:
Its really no different than a pregnant woman and stressfull excersise early on is ok but when they get closer you need to be carefull and not push to much but I bet i know a guy with a dog or 2 you can use this weekend blue if you dont bring her

Back