disapointment

rascal

first day in South Dakota....I'm disappointed. temps were hovering around 80 degrees today so it was tough. had 6 points on hens and 2 roosters pointed that flushed WAY wild. I've never seen soo many hunters in my life....it's crazy. I think all this public ground is getting pounded....I only saw 3 birds off the road while driving around....NOT what I expected in SD. take me back to North Dakota...I can usually find more pheasants that this in Illinois......

Wow that hot today out there ? I hope it cools down before I get out there we only have two dogs coming with us and they arn't used to hunting in that kind of heat come to think of it I'm not either:):cheers:

It is supposed to drop down into the 50 in the next week out here. Hopefully it stays there. A lot easier on dogs, and hunters as well.

You cant do anything about the weather . There are some reports of very few hunters elsewhere in the state. Be nimble....

Ive been in your situation. Such high hopes yet so much disappointment..

I'm not sure where you were in SD, but I see 3 things that were working against you.

1 - competition with a whole mess of other hunters for good public land.

2 - Warm weather , birds scattered about. They usually don't show themselves in hot weather.

3 - Lots of corn still in the field.

I'm not sure where you were in SD, but I see 3 things that were working against you.

1 - competition with a whole mess of other hunters for good public land.

2 - Warm weather , birds scattered about. They usually don't show themselves in hot weather.

3 - Lots of corn still in the field.

Just basing this observation on the photo but if a guy is hunting public around Mitchell and in general along the I-90 corridor east of the river the competition for public parcels is going to be stiff. The available public acreage to hunt in that area is pretty small in comparison to other parts of the pheasant range. Couple that with a high concentration of hunters and the hunting will get tough.

ok so i know i've asked this question before but getting ready to leave for SD from Ohio and headed out to Mt. Rushemore to start the week off. We will be hunting around Tuesday (MIDWEEK) Nov. 4 thru Nov. 7. The main interstate that we will travel is 90. i orignally thought we could start hunting on our way back east off of 90 from about murdo/kennebec (Pierre National grasslands area) east toward mitchell and then go home from there.

However, after reading this post do any of you think it would be wise to head more north? Gettysburg/huron??? or even to Aberdeen area? or maybe south toward yankton/olivet....??

I will be hunting Public

Thanks for the info!!

I have a friend who farms around Faulkton and he said bird numbers around there are pretty good. Got a hunt planned in about a month up there. Not sure how much public is around up there. Haven't really looked.

Also, I've hunted plenty of areas within 20 miles of the interstate, north or south, during the middle of the week and had great success in years past and never saw another hunter. Don't let the reports deter you, you should do fine in the area you are planning on.

I was through Kennebec yesterday and there is a ton of corn still standing. I would think it should get better as time goes on. I talked to a couple of groups of guy's hunting ditches and they were limiting or close to everyday. We did see a lot of birds in that area. Also a lot on the road southeast of Chamberlain.

I'll never forget my first day in SD over 20 years ago. That first day for my dad, uncle, and myself was a bust. We felt a bit discouraged too. Then that evening came and we saw birds. So many in fact we were slap happy from the whole event.:) I'll never for get that day:).

Anyway, don't get down on your luck when you first get out there;). It takes scouting and time to learn those birds--their patterned, habits, habitats, areas etc.

The more time you spend out there the easier it gets (to find birds).

To those of you who are make the trip for the first time; Have fun and enjoy those fields--regardless if you find them right away or not;). Good luck:thumbsup:

ok so i know i've asked this question before but getting ready to leave for SD from Ohio and headed out to Mt. Rushemore to start the week off. We will be hunting around Tuesday (MIDWEEK) Nov. 4 thru Nov. 7. The main interstate that we will travel is 90. i orignally thought we could start hunting on our way back east off of 90 from about murdo/kennebec (Pierre National grasslands area) east toward mitchell and then go home from there.

However, after reading this post do any of you think it would be wise to head more north? Gettysburg/huron??? or even to Aberdeen area? or maybe south toward yankton/olivet....??

I will be hunting Public

Thanks for the info!!

1st the weather is going to be better(cooler) and you are doing it mid-week and that's a huge difference--should be a fun trip

Back