Diesel SUVs Coming

BritChaser

Chrysler announced at the Detroit Auto Show that it will offer a 3 liter 240 hp diesel option in its Jeep Grand Cherokee and in the Durango, both said to deliver in the neighborhood of 30 mph highway. The engine is built by a Fiat-owned company for the Euro market where diesels are very popular. Ford responded that it has no plans for a diesel SUV. No word from GM. Believe the diesel Durango will be my next suv.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Toyota to bring a diesel to the states. I have no interest in a Chrysler product (sorry dodge fans) but a Toyota or GM I could get behind. What ever happened to the truck Mahindra was supposed to be bringing here?

Chrysler used to have a diesel option for the Grand Cherokee just a few years ago. Couldn't have been much of a success as it was discontinued. Right now diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline so i wonder sometimes if there really is that much savings, especially if it's an expensive upgrade/option? If you tow with your truck i see a real value though. I drive a Jeep Liberty and like it but have to admit if they put that diesel in the Wrangler Unlimited i would be tempted.

Last edited:
my wife loved her Jeep but man the mileage sucked big time.

We love diesels as we both drive VW Jetta TDI's. All the tractors and trucks are diesels as well.

The 4X4 of the Jeep is unmatched IMO. I would also be tempted if they put a fuel efficient powerful motor in the Grand Cherokee.

Also looking at the VW Toureg TDI but they cost a small fortune.

The 4X4 of the Jeep is unmatched IMO. I would also be tempted if they put a fuel efficient powerful motor in the Grand Cherokee.

I would beg to differ. Maybe when the grand cherokee was straight axeled it may have had an edge (though reliability was an issue) but now a 4runner or Xterra is a far superior off road SUV and a trail team FJ will hold its own against a Rubicon.

I'll agree, nobody matches Jeep when it comes to true off road 4X4. That's why you see them dominate the trail rides across the country.

Around here where rock crawling and desert running were born Toyotas dominate the scene with jeeps coming in second but the jeeps you see on trails retain few stock jeep parts.

If there was a 4runner or FJ offered with a turbo diesel and a manual tranny I would have it in my driveway right now.

Last edited:
Chris, those VW Jetta TDI's are amazing. I would kill to have one of them for my trips out to South Dakota.

A guy could buy a little older SUV or truck and buy a lot of gas with the savings over a new vehicle.

Exactly !!! When the latest gas price crunch hit people were dumping SUV's cheap and losing thousands of dollars of their investments. That money would have paid for alot of gas.

Back