Diamond Plate Dog Boxes.......

TheMorningRise

To follow up on the previous thread about dog boxes and trucks.......

I do not know much about the diamond plate dog boxes and am looking to be educated on them (regardless of manufacturer). What advantages do these types of boxes offer (when comparing to say a Gunner Kennel). Also, how do the dogs stay warm/cool in these types of boxes. Basically, I am looking for a "double" box for my new RAM and want to make an educated decision.

Others recommended Deer Creek and I have come across Diamond Deluxe on the internet. Look pretty similar.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

The deer creek hounsman deluxe is the way to go. About half the price of a diamond plate box and twice as warm. Deer Creek can make you a diamond plate box if you want but if you ask them they will steer you towards a houndsmen. Plus if you have a light colored dog they come out of the aluminum with a black cast on them. My Houndsmen was under $500 and that included shipping. Double wall construction, 3/4 foam insulation, and you can open or close the vents. Plus you can add extra's and have the box custom made for you. You can get them with storage or without. Like I said before, those Gunner and Ruff Tuffs are very nice and have their purpose but they are better suited for a SUV. Lots more options to a custom made box. Oh and you can have your Houndsmen made to match the color of your truck.

http://www.deer-creek.org/page5

Last edited:
To follow up on the previous thread about dog boxes and trucks.......

I do not know much about the diamond plate dog boxes and am looking to be educated on them (regardless of manufacturer). What advantages do these types of boxes offer (when comparing to say a Gunner Kennel). Also, how do the dogs stay warm/cool in these types of boxes. Basically, I am looking for a "double" box for my new RAM and want to make an educated decision.

Others recommended Deer Creek and I have come across Diamond Deluxe on the internet. Look pretty similar.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Deerskin, Ainly, and Mountaintop are the gold standard of aluminum or stainless dog boxes. Go with stainless unless you have a black dog. The aluminum boxes will discolor your dog. Have the ceiling insulated with 2" foam, and 3/4 or 1" in the walls. Diamond deluxe is good but nothing like Ainly.

I have a northstar box and love it. 1" insulation for the winter and huge vents for the summer, drip trays to keep dogs comfortable.

Either route gets expensive but my dogs spend many hours on the road traveling to tests or hunting trips. I don't care what it costs to keep them safe and comfortable

I appreciate the replies thus far.

Now to complicate things.......

What about trailers!?!?!

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking a 4 hole trailer may be a better option. I think it would be easier and faster to hook up to and drop a trailer, as opposed to mounting and then removing a box when I need it. As, I would not keep the box in the truck all the time.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I appreciate the replies thus far.

Now to complicate things.......

What about trailers!?!?!

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking a 4 hole trailer may be a better option. I think it would be easier and faster to hook up to and drop a trailer, as opposed to mounting and then removing a box when I need it. As, I would not keep the box in the truck all the time.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

If you fit ride inside a 4 hole go for a ride down a smooth road in one of the boxes behind the axle. Do not try a rough road first it's way to painful!
6 holes from reputable manufacturers aren't to bad in front of the axle, use the back 2 for storage.

A topper manufactured by Ainly, deerskin, mountain top is a much better choice!

If you fit ride inside a 4 hole go for a ride down a smooth road in one of the boxes behind the axle. Do not try a rough road first it's way to painful!
6 holes from reputable manufacturers aren't to bad in front of the axle, use the back 2 for storage.

A topper manufactured by Ainly, deerskin, mountain top is a much better choice!

:thumbsup:

I appreciate that!

The deer creek hounsman deluxe is the way to go. About half the price of a diamond plate box and twice as warm. Deer Creek can make you a diamond plate box if you want but if you ask them they will steer you towards a houndsmen. Plus if you have a light colored dog they come out of the aluminum with a black cast on them. My Houndsmen was under $500 and that included shipping. Double wall construction, 3/4 foam insulation, and you can open or close the vents. Plus you can add extra's and have the box custom made for you. You can get them with storage or without. Like I said before, those Gunner and Ruff Tuffs are very nice and have their purpose but they are better suited for a SUV. Lots more options to a custom made box. Oh and you can have your Houndsmen made to match the color of your truck.

http://www.deer-creek.org/page5

OK,
You almost have me talked into a "Houndsmen." Theyre cheaper than I thought and made in Indiana, where I live.
Question is, will a Lab fit in one of these? Seems like they're pretty small?
Gotta admit, I like the Gunner's real well but the houndsmen is about the same price!

I have labs. One is a 91 lb male with ribs showing. I could fit 2 of them in together on one side. I had them make my box with the extra tall doors and no storage to accomodate my labs but to be honest its not really needed. As far as the average size lab no problem at all. Those boxes are not small. I get compliments all the time on my box. I always have people looking at it and asking me where I got it. You won't be sorry. There was actually a member on this site that used to be a dealer for them. That is how I got turned on to them.

I have a couple of the extra large plastic crates and there is more room in the houndsmen than the plastic crates. And my crate is the largest you can buy. Check out there facebook page and give them a call.

I have an older Houndsman deluxe I purchased 15 years or so ago and still it is in great shape still. It carried my Labs and Brittany's all over the country. I have the one with the top storage and I really like it for storing dog supplies, shells, vests and such. The Houndsman has never discolored my dogs coats and they are roan & white and liver & white britt's.

Kick'em Up!

Back