Delaware Water Gap

my2britts

Looking to hunt the Delaware Water Gap area in Pikes County. Moved out to Virginia from Colorado 2 years ago and my poor Brittany is getting starting to get pretty hard up pointing tweety birds. Drove up 209 to go to my wife's Grandmothers last year for Thanksgiving and noticed some state land that looked hunt-able. Did some research and looks like it is the Delaware Water Gap.
I am not looking for anyone's secret spot, just looking for what to expect and how to access/where to park. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A man without a gundog is no man at all...

According to the PGC website that is the only land in Pike County that gets stocked. It gets both hens and roosters but it is best to check what WMA it is in to see if you can shoot hens. I don't know anything about the area, though. Good luck.

Thanks for the information. Looks like I can take either both hens and roosters. Ship date says they will stock the weekend before thanksgiving. Do they generally stick the the ship dates displayed on the pheasant allocation or do you think they would stock the day before, day of, or day after thanksgiving?

If there are birds the ol' dog will do her job, here's hoping I can do mine...

The area you want to hunt is the Delaware National Recreaction Area and not the Gap itself. There are some pretty decent areas and several sites within the DWNRA that receive birds. Now that the New Jersey pheasant season has kicked it will be less crowded.

I will PM you with some locations!

Quite a Day

First off, thank you to all those that gave me direction to hunt off of 209. Lady pointed 3 hens (One was being pecked on by a falcon in the middle of a windbreak) and we had two roosters flush. I shot the first hen. Missed on the roosters. If you don't want anymore details that the short of it.

Was sitting eating breakfast watching this rain, and then watched it start to let up. I eagerly decided, "Hey, I am only hunting 4 days this year and there's no room for fair weather hunting" So I packed up the pup and left the other at home hollering. (She is lame and I retired...)

Arrived at the DWG not 10 minutes later. I can tell you one thing straight away... did I ever under estimate the cover! I am 6'9" and the grass was taller than me. That's when I heard a bell, and I thought I should have put a bell on lady. Next thing you know lady ends up 150 yards across the field. If the man and his field lab read this, I am sorry for getting in your way. I am sure you were thinking who is the moron walking straight through a 200 yd wide 5 foot high field. - My goal was to try to push birds out to the edges, and after what seemed like a mile walk though the thick brush it just about took it out of lady and me.

Next we hunted a hedgerow next to corn and the "brier" was thick. Sticker bushes every where. Lady was born with nothing on her belly and I had forgotten her vest. Needless to say she was miserable and avoided the stickers.

Finally we got to some lower switch back grass, and the field had strips of cover about 15-20 yards wide. This went on for around 20 -30 strips. We started up at the top and hunted into the wind. Lady got pretty birdy and then FROZE, looking into the treeline. I approach told her to get it up and she moved in and a falcon came ripping out of the trees. I said good girl but she would not leave the trees. She finally found a dead hen the falcon had taken. Leaving the hen, not more than 15 steps out of the trees, lady rushed into the grass and again froze. I walked behind, whispered "gettem up". She obeyed and flushed a hen. I do not like to take hens, but I wanted to bring a bird home to my daughter, to teach her about birds, why we hunt, and how to clean them. So in this hen and rooster area, I took a hen.

The next point we where walking down a road, grass on one side trees and thick, stickery brier on the left. Next think I know, lady rushes in to the stickers about 10 yards and freezes. I get in position say the magic words an out bust a hen; strong and quick! (With the exception of the first hen, these birds reminded me of wild pheasants and not the stocked I am used to.) I do not shoot, given its a hen.

Lady was cold, tired and the stickers where taking effect. We decided to walk the roads back to the car. Half way we slipped down to the river, where lady was birdy as could be. We kept going, but nothing. She continued to work and work up the hill. Finally we got to a spot we could get up with out slipping in the mud. No sooner did we crest to the fielded plateau then a rooster flushed. As surprised as I was I didn't get a shot off. Put the gun back on safe and another chatter-driven rooster sprung. I threw some shot at it but to no avail. Surrounded by thick brier, we decided not to pursue. Instead, I did my ol pup a good one and carried her through the mess. And we slowly made are way back to the car. Time to rest, lick our wounds and contemplate another show down tomorrow. Loved being out, Love my dog, and loved hearing those roosters cackle!

Sounds like a great outing for you and your dog. It is always a good day when you get to spend time with your dog and get on some birds. Good luck tomorrow.

Great report! My friend in the PGC said they took the corn out on the 11/15 and 11/16. That's great if you were able to take advantage of it on 11/18. I heard a lot of guys did. I was going to PM you but it was already to late.
Yes the cover there is very good and holds birds into the season.

Glad you and your pup were lucky enough to get into some birds.
Let me know if I can be of any further help!

Check your PM's !

Last edited:
Second Day

Second Day as successful as the first. Got one rooster and flushed a hen.
After the bumps and bruises from yesterdays hunt, my 8 year old pup and I ventured back to the DWG. We walked the road down to the a large corn field. 7 people just finished walking it in a line with no dogs, which was good news for me. I plan to head straight to a wooded corner, then up the tree wind break next to the corn.
Lady immediately got birdie and headed into the wooded corner. 20 yards later a rooster burst out, it was a long 30-40 yard shot and I managed to wing it and it went down by the river. The fun began. Downed trees and sticker bushes. "Dead bird" "Dead bird". Lady was relentless and finally found the bird under a thorny thicket right next to the river. She could find a way in past the thorns and finally got under and retrieved the bird. We headed back up the treeline and Lady went on point. Enjoying this I let her stand still for about 10 minutes, slowly crept up and out popped a hen... deciding not to push the dog we meandered down the road and ran into two men, two boys, and a beautiful springer. Lady and I were headed back to the car and I offered to work a field with them to get the young men some shots. However I looked down at the dog and blood was all over. The stickers win again. Lady is resting, healing, and getting pampered by her sister. I cleaned the birds and we cooked them for thanksgiving dinner. Great day!

What a good two days for you. Give Lady some extra treats for her hard work. Thanks for the pictures.

Looks like you had a good couple of days! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the pictures. Pa. still has something to offer the upland hunter.

Yesterday saw a rooster. Shot still saw a rooster, shot again still saw a rooster... Rooster faded into the horizon.
No birds today. Lots of hunters, little shots heard. Great four days. Saw 7 birds took 2 missed 2. Hopefully I'll get more hunting next season after school is over.

Thanks to all. Enjoy the rest of the year. I'll be following your posts!

my2britts- Glad you enjoyed the season. It has been a good one for many PA hunters. And I had the same experience a few times this year with a bird fading off in the distance.

Back