Dead Bird training

Recon

After reading the post on finding downed birds I was just wondering how everyone taught their dog to find a dead bird or in some cases a wounded bird? Any training tips. (8 month old GSP)
Thanks

I spend a lot of time in the off season with either frozen birds from the year previous or pheasanted scent rubbed on cloth bumpers. Sometimes I throw and let her mark retrieves, while other times I'll make a loop around our training field throwing in bumper/birds, then go get her and move from area to area trying to find the "dead bird". Make sure to throw the target to the final hiding spot, otherwise a dog will just follow your scent trail from dead bird to dead bird. :thumbsup:

I also use a different command for finding a dead bird than for when we are on the move through a field.

I Do some drag work and marked retrieves. I Also take some hen pheasants and tape the wings and release them in front of the dog, give them a head start and wet the bird. Let the dog go and they start to figure it out if they have a nose. Once they figure it out and get experience, they can run a track like a deer. With your pointer you may not want to do this because it will catch the bird and make him a flusher. Use fliers when you get to that point. You could also drag a track to a pigeon or chucker in a thrower, so when he points you can send the bird off.

Last edited:
After reading the post on finding downed birds I was just wondering how everyone taught their dog to find a dead bird or in some cases a wounded bird? Any training tips. (8 month old GSP)
Thanks
birds birds birds and more birds either buying them or constantly hunting and getting into them quail are the best can kill lots and have lots of practice and patience if your with a new dog buy yourself

Back