Day 2 report

519vx

Hunted south and west of Plankinton today. Similar to yesterday, a lot of driving to find birds but when you got to an area that had birds you saw more. Storm flushed 13 birds today. I stone cold missed on the first rooster. Eventually finally got on the board with her first wild South Dakota pheasant. Two groups of birds were again apparently latch hatch young of the year. They weren’t nearly full grown and I was unable to identify if any were roosters. Ended the day with her in a foot chase with a nice rooster. She almost had him before he popped up out of range. As with yesterday it seemed most were near standing corn.

I noticed a LOT of big hawks today. Secondary unimproved section roads were soupy in some spots. The clay soil will completely fill your truck tire treads. Like yesterday, hunting pressure was relatively light.

If you are either stating in or passing through either Mitchell or Pierre,do yourself a favor and stop in for a a steak at Cattleman’s Club. I guarantee it will be one of the best you e had.

Last edited:
I spent 4 days within an hour of Aberdeen. All public land, 3 birds Saturday, Sunday 1, Monday 3, Tuesday 2 (lost 1). These are my personal numbers as a group of 5 we shot around 1/2 a limit each day. Hunting pressure was light and I found most of my birds in areas that have typically been less productive. Zero birds were shot driving around at dusk. I found it odd how bunched up and skittish the birds were for early season. Saw some huge flocks of mallards in slews that didn't look like a snake could get his belly wet in, a few small flocks of snows, many many more deer than last year. All in all a great trip!
Next Tuesday I leave for 5 days on private land near Miller. I expect we will do well but it still will not be like 20 (probably closer to 35) years ago

Steve, you are truly doing a "free style" trip! Going where you want, when you want. I love those style of hunts when I'm solo. No one to say turn left here. Or let's head over there. Just you and Storm taking what South Dakota offers and basking in its beauty( if I know you and your pace) Where you eating tonight? Repeat trip to the Cattlemans? Lol. Wish I was there, but life's going to be in the way for me more this year. Self inflicted, yes, but if I put my head down and work hard, next year. I'll be a resident of the great state!

Last edited:
Where in WI are you from? I am from Appleton and we head to SD Tuesday night...can't wait. Last year, even with the doom and gloom report we found a couple public spots that had not been touched, birds everywhere. Hopefully this year is more of the same!

Last edited:
Where in WI are you from? I am from Appleton and we head to SD Tuesday night...can't wait. Last year, even with the doom and gloom report we found a couple public spots that had not been touched, birds everywhere. Hopefully this year is more of the same!

Hi Golson. I’m from Mukwonago, south of Waukesha about 10 miles. Weather looks good for you for next week with temps in the 40s. It was 62 here today. I’m pretty confiyif you put in you’re time, you’ll find some birds. I’ll put a more detailed report out later but I bet the mutt and I put up 25 birds today. Good luck on your trip!

Back