Damage done

McFarmer

As a farmer, I spend my whole day outside and driving the country roads.

As the hatch started two weeks ago I saw several hens with good sized broods out and about. With the five inches of rain we've had since then I see more hens alone or with one or two chicks. Lots of hens and roosters together.

When I walk my hay fields and CRP I get hens up where before they would be trying to get their brood to cover.

One plus is that the first cutting of hay has largely been delayed, allowing some to hatch and make it out.

Anyone else notice this ?

Yesterday was spent in some hay fields that I haven't been able to cut yet digging thistles out before they go to seed.

I came across two broods. The first was able to fly, hatched before the big rain. Only three that I saw. The second was certainly hatched since the recent storms, unable to fly. I saw eight, most likely more I didn't see.

So could be worse.

I made a short drive west of Spirit Lake on Saturday around 10 am, not really looking for pheasants, but more so looking at prairies/forbs to compare to my restoration. I was kind of surprised that I even seen a pheasant that time of the day, but. I seen one lone rooster, then two roosters and two hens, (no chicks) then I seen a hen fly across the road, then I seen my first brood. Tiny, tiny chicks (approx 13), with a hen..

I made a short drive west of Spirit Lake on Saturday around 10 am, not really looking for pheasants, but more so looking at prairies/forbs to compare to my restoration. I was kind of surprised that I even seen a pheasant that time of the day, but. I seen one lone rooster, then two roosters and two hens, (no chicks) then I seen a hen fly across the road, then I seen my first brood. Tiny, tiny chicks (approx 13), with a hen..

Remember, a hen who has a “successful” nest (chicks hatch) then possibly perish from hail, heavuy rain or predators Will NOT re nest. She is incapable. If a hen is sitting on her nest of eggs is destroyed those are the hens who can renest.

Bob

Back