Daily extremes (temp)

quail hound

I've always wondered if any other state sees daily extreme temperatures like California.

Yesterday saw a low of 35 in Truckee and a high of 119 in Death Valley.:eek: My best math tells me this is an 84 degree discrepancy and that's pretty standard. I've seen close to a 100 degree difference before.

Across the plains we'll have some pretty big day/night swings, but NOTHING like what you're describing. How far is Truckee from Death Valley?

Across the plains we'll have some pretty big day/night swings, but NOTHING like what you're describing. How far is Truckee from Death Valley?

Using the map in my head and some guesstimation I would say around 400mi as the crow flies but I believe DV is the lowest place (therefore closest to hell:D) in America at -280ft ele and Truckee is at 5800ft ele.

In the lower 48 according to Wikipedia:
The largest recorded temperature change over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from -54 to 49 °F (-47.8 to 9.4 °C).

The largest recorded temperature change over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from -54 to 49 °F (-47.8 to 9.4 °C).

BC you beat me to it.:thumbsup: I've been in a couple of extreme weather changes while in Montana.
While hunting elk in the little belts mid Nov some years back temps went from 50's to 25 below in about 12 hours.
Just last year in the Missouri Breaks late Nov temps went from 60 to Minus 10 and 40 mph winds during the night. UNREAL!:eek:

At least it was in the right direction!!!!!!!:)

Back