Daily Bag

Deweybagger

2nd day, 3 guys 3 roosters & 1 goose

Had to work a little longer in the field we went to, real thin cover at the front side but when we got to the back area about a 1/2 hour after light I shot the first rooster,flushed 2 hens and my son whiffed on a 2nd rooster about 100 yards later.
Then he shot a the goose, missed another rooster and then the big wisconsin flush 15min later
5 roosters which one fell to my sons gun and one to my brother in laws.

Seems to be a fair amount of birds around.

Phez for supper, hope to see 2 in the bag tomorrow

Just curious, how's the maturity levels been on this year's wild roosters up there? Are rooster fully filled out with color?

Just curious, how's the maturity levels been on this year's wild roosters up there? Are rooster fully filled out with color?

All the birds except 1 that we've flushed have had full color and cackled. I think the last group today were all young of the year, real small spurs and short tails on the 2 shot but still full color.

I've only hunted 2 public spots so far, saving the private for after the corn comes down.

How's everyone else doing?

Corns still up on one of my favorite spots, rough on a pointing dog. Saw around 6, nothing pointed, nothing shot. Had one point at the edge of corn, rooster ran into the middle of the corn and flushed.

4 of the 6 I saw where in the corn across the street on private land. They were cackling away, chucking me the finger.

Went to another field tonight for the last 45 min, scouting might make sense....
Most of the field was mowed to about ankle height.

Didn't have time to get somewhere else so we tried the fence line in the back, about a 20 min walk. Get back there and there is standing water all down the fence.

Big skunk tonight! Scouting before committing next time!

Went out on Sunday morning with another member and one of his dogs found the only rooster. Fortunately his brother-in-law cleaned up my messy shooting and we were able to bag it.

After that I had to work for 2 hours and then I went back out with the pup solo. Within 10 minutes of being in the field the dog started getting birdy (pretty exciting because he's never pointed a non-planted bird by me) but he lost the trail. I lead him over to the left where we've pushed birds from in the past and that did not get any results. So I went back to the original spot and tried to get him on the scent and as he was working the tree line, I stepped to the other side and I noticed sitting on the edge of the beans a nice big rooster sitting pretty. I called the dog over and once he broke through, the rooster spun his wheels and the dog followed suit. Rooster comes up and I shoot, first shot was low and only break legs and the bird keeps limping along in flight. I fire a second round and knock it down. Dog runs into the beans to make the retrieve and just as he gets within 5 yards of the bird up comes another rooster. I was able to call him off pretty quickly and he made a nice retrieve on the rooster. This time he grabbed the bird by the rear and brought it back to me.
Still no pointed birds but the retrieves keep getting better. Not bad for a dog that's not even 5.5 months old.

I'm going to try for a couple hours in the morning but the fields been pounded pretty hard. Not sure there's many left out there.

He's just a baby. I wouldn't worry about no points yet. Have fun now. Staunch him up in the training field next summer.

Made it out with 1/2 hr to go tonight, had to come in behind another group and head where I don't like to go to be polite and give them room.

Worked out with 1 rooster flushed and in the bag.

Didn't hear the other group shoot at anything

Brother in law reported his hot spot already has the birds running and the pointers are not keeping up, hard to believe they get smart that fast. They are flushing way out from the dog.

Almost forgot, someone else posted about ticks.

Picked over 30 deer ticks off my older lab tonight after that short hunt and 20+ Saturday and Sunday combined.

My dogs have their shots and frontline but them little bastards are catching a free ride into the house!

I HATE deer ticks! Hate wood ticks, too, but deer ticks are the worst. I also use Frontline, but the other night had to pick one off the dog's head. The wound site swells and the little bastard is so deep you can barely get a grip on it.

Made it out for a quick hour and half before work. It turned out to be just a nice long walk through very wet grass. The dog never even got birdy. Lots of others hunters in the area and no one fired a shot in the time I was there. I will give it another try this weekend when I have more time. Go Badgers!!!!

The light has turned on!

The pup pointed and held his first pheasant today. He followed up his first point with pointing 2 other birds today. It was fun watching him put it together. I'll remember this hunt for some time.

The pup pointed and held his first pheasant today. He followed up his first point with pointing 2 other birds today. It was fun watching him put it together. I'll remember this hunt for some time.

Congrats Shorthairs4life - that's a big milestone and I'm sure is very rewarding. :cheers:

Not Cacklebird related but thought I'd share my Wi duck opener story.

4 guys.

I limited out on Woodies and Mallards.

Brother limited woodies and a red head

2 friends missed more birds than I can count but did bag a few woodies and 2 mallards. also saw pintails, a couple ruddy ducks, teal (green and blue) and could have shot thousands of geese but no tags.

That was one hell of a Saturday in Sconnie!

Not Cacklebird related but thought I'd share my Wi duck opener story.

4 guys.

I limited out on Woodies and Mallards.

Brother limited woodies and a red head

2 friends missed more birds than I can count but did bag a few woodies and 2 mallards. also saw pintails, a couple ruddy ducks, teal (green and blue) and could have shot thousands of geese but no tags.

That was one hell of a Saturday in Sconnie!

What part of the state were you hunting?
We hardly see anything but teal, woodies and mallards. We've shot some blue bill up north when we were in our teens, so almost 20 years ago!
Would be awesome to see pintail and some red heads.

Back