Crowing?

parooster

Has anyone been hearing any crowing? From time to time you might hear a cock bird crow in my area, if he managed to make it through the winter. We don't have a wild population around here.

I take it the birds you're hearing around your area are released birds that survived the winter?:)

I've been hearing some for a while now. I heard some yesterday in the afternoon when I was fishing. Caught a couple of bass, too. I know there are some hens in the area. They are released birds from the fall/winter.

The past few years I would hear some holdover quail but nothing so far this year. The ice storms were hard on them.

Yes, we have been hearing them crow for quite some time now. The official crowing reports start at the end of April.

We do a lot of our scouting during this time of year, using the crowing and spring habitat.

Last year there were Roosters answering Gobblers in Bradford County...I hope they didn't pick a fight!:D

My wife and I took the boys down fishing this evening and we heard a couple different roosters crowing. When we were driving home we saw one fly across the road and land in a grass field. He hit the ground running and was in hot pursuit of a hen. She started running when he got closer. It was neat to see and I hope he has some luck.

Saw a hen and rooster hanging out together this evening. She wasn't in much of a hurry to get away from him this time.

photo1_zps0d5bd0d0.jpg

photo2_zpsaa8bb37b.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures.

Hey...those pictures look pretty good to me! Looks like the ole boy is closing in on her.
Been hearing some crowing, but nothing crazy.

Enough to drive you nuts here in Nova Scotia! I witnessed a pretty good brawl the other day while out striped bass fishing too!
Dave

I saw Mr. Rooster again today. He had two hens with him this time but one of them ran off into the grass before I got a picture.

photo_zpsf59466d1.jpg

Nice photo! Do you think these are your birds?

I have no doubt that they are the birds we released. No signs of the quail, though :(

Even though I know the birds are released birds, it is nice to see and hear them year round on the property. Sometimes I can hear them crowing when I wake up in the morning if I have my windows open.

How are things going in some of your special areas? Any word on the crowing counts in the WPRA's?

I have no doubt that they are the birds we released. No signs of the quail, though :(

Even though I know the birds are released birds, it is nice to see and hear them year round on the property. Sometimes I can hear them crowing when I wake up in the morning if I have my windows open.

How are things going in some of your special areas? Any word on the crowing counts in the WPRA's?

I think it's really special that you know those birds are the ones you released and at this point they are as good as wild.That was some winter they made through. The % of your birds that make it every year is MUCH higher than normal, you're doing something right! :cheers:

Getting mixed reports in some areas, the crowing started very early then really dropped off! We don't know why.

No word yet on the WPRA's, I'll bet Mr. A. is busy making his property a pheasant paradise! ;)

Finished my crowing count routes for this spring. Looks like bird numbers are down about half. This is the first year of decline since the wild birds were released in 2008. The hardest winter in 10 years took its toll but we are happy half the birds made it and a good hatching year should bounce them back soon. Lots of good things in the new farm bill to help build habitat and we continue to work on improving the habitat in the WPRA. We are also working on some new planting methods to interseed CREP acres that lack enough switchgrass to provide good winter cover and spring nesting cover.

I had a feeling the counts were going to be down, it was to be expected after the winter we had. Heck we couldn't even do the flushing surveys this year because of the weather.
I agree, there are a lot of positives going forward! Hate to lose any birds but I think most states got hit pretty hard this year.
Thanks for the report!

Finished my crowing count routes for this spring. Looks like bird numbers are down about half. This is the first year of decline since the wild birds were released in 2008. The hardest winter in 10 years took its toll but we are happy half the birds made it and a good hatching year should bounce them back soon. Lots of good things in the new farm bill to help build habitat and we continue to work on improving the habitat in the WPRA. We are also working on some new planting methods to interseed CREP acres that lack enough switchgrass to provide good winter cover and spring nesting cover.

Sure hope it's a good spring. Things were going great until this winter.
I wonder if better habitat would have helped?

Back