Crops

Byrdoglvr

Anyone know if any crops are being harvested in Western MN? Corn is as green as green can be around me. I did see some pretty dry corn and picked beans on my way home from Brainerd last weekend. 2012 four of us harvested 13 birds opening weekend. 2013 three--thinking 2014 will be about the same.

The beans are coming out but the corn is going to be a while yet. My guess is that the farmers will be letting the corn dry down as much as possible in the field. With the current low corn price they don't want to pay for drying it.

Combine corn when you can. Too many folks remember those years of snow up to the ears or ice and wind taking it down.

Planting and harvest waits for no man.

I would rather see crops up for opener. I think it keeps the season going longer and saves more birds for late season. Went out with a buddy to a pc of public 20min from my house put up 6 roosters and 10 hens in an hour. All the birds we close to full size and all the rooster were full color.

Corn by me is drying nicely but will still be in for a couple weeks. We had such a late plant for many due to the wet spring that its simply not ready. I do agree that crops for opener are not necessarily a bad thing. In my experience the casual hunter is done after opener and crops up mean a better longer season for us diehards.

Corn by me is drying nicely but will still be in for a couple weeks. We had such a late plant for many due to the wet spring that its simply not ready. I do agree that crops for opener are not necessarily a bad thing. In my experience the casual hunter is done after opener and crops up mean a better longer season for us diehards.

A co-worker of mine drives from Gaylord to the cities everyday. I think he's nuts!

We saw farmers starting to take out end rows and, in some cases, start taking out fields this weekend. We stopped by the elevator by the farm and one load of corn was at 23% moisture. 15% is required without being docked. If the forecast this week is accurate, after today, there should be some good drying weather.

Back