Crops and Moisture Levels

hunter94

wondering how the crops and grass plots are doing in SW NE? anyone got a feel for this area of the state?

I went out This Wednesday and Thursday (Nov 7,8) staying in McCook. On the drive out, passing Imperial and Palisade I saw about 20% corn harvested. Also, I would say about 40% milo harvested. Of course the wheat was at mid-calf height.
As far as moisture levels, I noticed that the CRP lands has very thick as well as tall growth, many places over my head. I use GPS for my dogs so I had no problem finding them, but the cover was very thick.
Roads were in good shape except Thursday because of the snow. The temperature was around 30 degrees so the roads were muddy. Had to pay attention.
Hunting Wednesday found the birds very nervous, a lot of wild flushes. Thursday, the birds were holding tight in about 5 inches of snow. Scenting conditions were tough Wednesday due to the wind, but Thursday morning the scenting conditions were excellent, but since the birds were hunkered down, the dogs had very close points.
Saw a lot of birds, mostly wild as they hadn't calmed down due to the beginning of the season. I think the snow, McCook to Palisade (didn't go east) might slow up harvesting.
Anyway, those are my observations.

I went out This Wednesday and Thursday (Nov 7,8) staying in McCook. On the drive out, passing Imperial and Palisade I saw about 20% corn harvested. Also, I would say about 40% milo harvested. Of course the wheat was at mid-calf height.
As far as moisture levels, I noticed that the CRP lands has very thick as well as tall growth, many places over my head. I use GPS for my dogs so I had no problem finding them, but the cover was very thick.
Roads were in good shape except Thursday because of the snow. The temperature was around 30 degrees so the roads were muddy. Had to pay attention.
Hunting Wednesday found the birds very nervous, a lot of wild flushes. Thursday, the birds were holding tight in about 5 inches of snow. Scenting conditions were tough Wednesday due to the wind, but Thursday morning the scenting conditions were excellent, but since the birds were hunkered down, the dogs had very close points.
Saw a lot of birds, mostly wild as they hadn't calmed down due to the beginning of the season. I think the snow, McCook to Palisade (didn't go east) might slow up harvesting.
Anyway, those are my observations.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the update beboswell. I usually don't get out west until later in the year. Good to hear the CRP has good growth. Last year it seemed really thin.

Out east there is more corn harvested and it has been a good year so far. Three trips and 8 birds, all without a dog. Snuck out Friday morning with the snow and was able to bag a limit, but I sure had to work for them.
View attachment 8671

Back