Coyotes

1pheas4

Recently I've talked with two hunting club employees--from two separate clubs. They started culling coyotes on their (hunting club) property. One started culling 2 years ago (Coon Creek Hunt club). Both for the first time have 2 dozen or more "wild like" pen raised birds living on the property--year-round. Both groups act wild. I suspect this spring they will have a few broods from these birds too.

I saw one of the groups for myself at a club in Wis. You could tell they were pen birds, but they acted more wild-like than the birds fresh from the pen. They fly very well too. They didn't want anything to do with me and flushed as a group well ahead of me and flue far as a wild bird would do. To me, it looked as if there were a number of true/born wild birds within the group so I suspect the pen birds have been taking cues from the wild birds.

If and when you get a chance, get those coyotes. Raccoons too.

Nick

Last edited:
I can see that if there's one or two coyotes in an area and they push the red foxes out. I'm no longer sure they keep nest raiders at bay though. I've seen coons hold their ground against coyotes and even seen the two feeding on a carcass together.

One or two coyotes in an area is fine, but in many areas a field can have 6 to 8 coyotes comb through it in a night. That's a lot of pressure for those birds to withstand day-in-day-out. Particularly within smaller fields.

Makes sense and also if you're talking having adult released birds hold over through the winter,killing nest raiders doesn't really matter if the coyotes kill the adults before spring. I do find it hard to believe a coyote can kill an adult coon as well.

Either way I kill all predators I get a chance at.

Recently I've talked with two hunting club employees--from two separate clubs. They started culling coyotes on their (hunting club) property. One started culling 2 years ago (Coon Creek Hunt club). Both for the first time have 2 dozen or more "wild like" pen raised birds living on the property--year-round. Both groups act wild. I suspect this spring they will have a few broods from these birds too.

I saw one of the groups for myself at a club in Wis. You could tell they were pen birds, but they acted more wild-like than the birds fresh from the pen. They fly very well too. They didn't want anything to do with me and flushed as a group well ahead of me and flue far as a wild bird would do. To me, it looked as if there were a number of true/born wild birds within the group so I suspect the pen birds have been taking cues from the wild birds.

If and when you get a chance, get those coyotes. Raccoons too.

Nick

Just out of curiosity which club was in Wisconsin? I just joined a club and they started doing something similar and they have had broods as well.

I'll send you a pm shorthairs.;)

Along the lines of coyotes and pheasants, I'm not sure they nail all too many adult (wild birds). Pen birds they'll clean house though. But from what I've seen and heard others, they can wipe out a brood of pheasants in one hunt.

I have a friend who owns some property on the west side of the county. He told me a coyote found a brood of pheasants out there. All they left behind was their feet and heads. The whole brood was eaten in one sitting:eek:.

Back