country music?????

iowa labs

am i the only one that misses country music? what's up with todays stars all pierced and tatood? they are really more like rock stars with screaming guitars:D! :cheers:

Who are you referring to????? Just so I can picture them in my head!!! I am as old school as one can be I guess , though I can see most do not even write songs anymore!! I recognize and can appreciate true artists who write and sing their own songs.Some may be a little Poppy, some a lot!!!! Radio here does not play much of what I like or even refuses too!!! Sometimes have to go to Texas Free radio!!! Some of the Bands I like probably have a few Tatts! Here are some of my Favorites!

Jamey Johnson
Ashton Sheppard
Jason Boland
Kevin Fowler
Stoney LaRue
Cross Canadian Ragweed

Jamey Johnson has a Album and a cd coming out the 16th and it is a Tribute to Hank Cochran. Has lots of Artists singing Hank Cochran songs, who left his stamp on Country music writing some of the best songs in Country music history! Funny to see Actual albums anymore!!:cheers:

Favorite western tunes:

"Tumbling Tumbleweeds"

"Home on the Range"

"The Wayward Wind"

"Come a Little Bit Closer"

"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"

"Streets of Laredo"

"Ring of Fire"

Last edited:
How about:
Big Iron
Mr. Shorty
The Tennessee Stud

While it's swell to hear Porter signing Company's Coming, one could live happily with a mix only of Guy Clark and Alison Krauss, despite neither being what one would call Country.

Nothing has been good since The Highway Men.

Last edited:
I'm kind of a freak when it comes to country music.

I dont give a darn about todays so called country music or the artists.

Give me Johnny Cash, George Jones, Conway and Loretta, Porter and Dolly, Johhny Bush, Connie Smith, Brenda Lee and that genre of true country music and I'm in heaven.

These are not my generations artists, but my mothers generation, but they still reach out to me in a way that nothing else on the airwaves can..

Thats why I have XM radio and listen to Willies Roadhouse.. This station is not perfect. its as good as it gets for this type of true, traditional country music.

XM America was perfect for me, but they watered it down when Sirius merged.

I'm kind of a freak when it comes to country music.

I dont give a darn about todays so called country music or the artists.

Give me Johnny Cash, George Jones, Conway and Loretta, Porter and Dolly, Johhny Bush, Connie Smith, Brenda Lee and that genre of true country music and I'm in heaven.

These are not my generations artists, but my mothers generation, but they still reach out to me in a way that nothing else on the airwaves can..

Thats why I have XM radio and listen to Willies Roadhouse.. This station is not perfect. its as good as it gets for this type of true, traditional country music.

XM America was perfect for me, but they watered it down when Sirius merged.

Reddog, then check the post above!!! If this ain't Country then nothin is!!

Who are you referring to????? Just so I can picture them in my head!!! I am as old school as one can be I guess , though I can see most do not even write songs anymore!! I recognize and can appreciate true artists who write and sing their own songs.Some may be a little Poppy, some a lot!!!! Radio here does not play much of what I like or even refuses too!!! Sometimes have to go to Texas Free radio!!! Some of the Bands I like probably have a few Tatts! Here are some of my Favorites!

Jamey Johnson
Ashton Sheppard
Jason Boland
Kevin Fowler
Stoney LaRue
Cross Canadian Ragweed

Jamey Johnson has a Album and a cd coming out the 16th and it is a Tribute to Hank Cochran. Has lots of Artists singing Hank Cochran songs, who left his stamp on Country music writing some of the best songs in Country music history! Funny to see Actual albums anymore!!:cheers:

Jason Boland and Cross Canadian? I figured I might be the only one around here listening to those guys.

Have you heard Jackson Taylor? He's got that red-dirt/throwback style with real steel guitars and everything;) His lyrics may be a little rough/crude for some, but his patriotic songs, drinkin' songs, and his modern-day country music bashing songs are excellent IMO. He's a breath of fresh air for those of us who can't stand the new crap (last 10-15 years) on the radio.

Thanks for posting those other names too. Now I've got some new artists to research. Modern-day country makes me sick. I knew we were in trouble when I was a kid watching CMT and saw Brian White, with his long-sissy bangs and his tennis-shoes doing some kind of man-love-bop-hip-hop-crap:mad: Now we have Rascal Flats, which is where I assumed the clown-show would eventually end up. I'd sure like to see a Youtube video of someone flatten his nose:D

Better quit now; I get pretty fired up about the demise of my culture's music genre:cool:

Last edited:
I can't listen/take today's "country".:( Seems they've removed the country portion of country music.

Today's "country" is more like pop-music with a singer singing with a southern accent. I guess they feel the southern accent make it country music:confused:

YOu need to check Jamey Johnson out!!! Saw him down at the Grizzly Rose and he is the second coming of REAL Country Music!!!! Ashton Shepherd is another that is off the charts!!! :cheers:
Check these out and now you know why Nashville is scared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiMdb2MnYr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYw_9thYyY&feature=related

This song will make a grown man cry!!!
Ashton Sheperd " How Big Are Angels Wings"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ5aIDuNE8A

Outstanding Chad!! Thanks for sharing. I got some work to do downloading some new songs. The only way to get this music is from others. I never hear anything like this on the radio anymore.

I grew up listening to Jerry Jeff, Willie, Waylon, because it was all my Dad had around. Still enjoy their stuff. Also like Cross Canadian, James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen and other Red Dirt Country.:cheers:

I think Sirius needs a Gonzo Country station that plays this type of music.

Jamey Johnson
Ashton Sheppard
Jason Boland
Kevin Fowler
Stoney LaRue
Cross Canadian Ragweed

jason aldean, and brantley gilbert have ear rings in both ears aaron lewis looks like mr. tatoo. i actually liked some of the music till i watched some of the videos:eek::eek:. jonny cash didn't didn't need to look like a moron to sell music! :D

Here's some new school North Carolina music from Matt Stillwell. Time to hit the Shine!

Any of you guys heard of him? He just came out with a new song too

Back