Coon Fever

Uncle Buck

Well my male has contracted coon fever. They get paralysis, mostly rear legs and it takes some time to heal. Meds have little effect. I have had one dog get it before, three times and he did not recover the third time.
I mention this because there are coons all over the place in SD if you are coming and most folks have never seen this. Dog will show signs 3 days to week after contracting virus from coon saliva. Ain't pretty but usually not fatal. Some dogs less resistant than others. I think as the encounters increase, they might lose a little resistence.

Also rabies out break west central Minnesota from what I hear.

Thank you for posting this valuable information.

Never heard of it. Thanks for sharing. God knows my dogs and hunting partners have had their share of coon encounters. Mean suckers once their ticked off.:eek:

Great info and sounds like we need more coon hunters!
People should be careful hunting West of Pierre in SD when temps hit the 60's and above. They have many prairie rattlers in that area. :thumbsup:

david0311

Well my male has contracted coon fever. They get paralysis, mostly rear legs and it takes some time to heal. Meds have little effect. I have had one dog get it before, three times and he did not recover the third time.
I mention this because there are coons all over the place in SD if you are coming and most folks have never seen this. Dog will show signs 3 days to week after contracting virus from coon saliva. Ain't pretty but usually not fatal. Some dogs less resistant than others. I think as the encounters increase, they might lose a little resistence.

Thank you--is there a treatment from a vet if your dog does tangle with a coon that can prevent or mitigate the reaction??

Thank you--is there a treatment from a vet if your dog does tangle with a coon that can prevent or mitigate the reaction??
Per my research, there is nothing you can do to prevent or mitigate it. Axel is getting better everyday, but it's a long haul. If any vets here have any suggestions, experience, please pass along.

I havnt head anything of it but I will not doubt it. The number of skunks that I have personally seen in the last three weeks is incredible. Also, every dry slough bottom that we walked this past weekend was covered in coon tracks. Im talking about west central Minn

The correct name for this disease is Coonhound Paralysis. Here a web site that has some information on it. In searching the web there is quite a bit of info out there.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_coonhound_paralysis

My dog pointed a coon on Saturday. There was one small patch of heavier weeds in a WIA and my dog was pointing it. I just had a bad feeling walking up to it. Actually was thinking skunk. When no bird flushed I called the dogs off and got them away. I then took my gun barrel an started slapping the weeds when all of a sudden I got a very loud growl coming from them. I backed up and fired a couple rounds into the weeks and the coon moved enough so I got a glimpse of his back before he dove back into the weeds. All was still so I assume I did dispatch him but I wasn't going in there to find out.

Back