Cooling vest for dogs

Don't care for it, for a bird dog.
I can see a possible use in extremes conditions in extreme places for dogs asked to perform extreme jobs regardless of climatic conditions IE people depend upon them...otherwise, I'd say don't hunt or go in the morning and evening.

Plus, I'm not a believer in dog vests in any manner for wear issues, heat, catching sticks, etc....fit would be the bugaboo.
I suppose tho that it depends upon where one hunts and the dog itself.
Some places, vests would be a safety issue I suppose.

Not sure how long these vests would stay cool before they become a heat sink, as well.
Seems to me that the makers of these vests are simply looking to expand into a hunting market...w/o being hunters.
That said, some will no doubt be purchased...maybe every minute.
Perhaps for a dove dog...who knows.

I can tell you that a vest can help you get the dog back in the field after stitches in the chest. With the hair shaved off you got to do something to protect the skin.

I made this one from an under aurmor type shirt with some heavier fabric stitched on the wear points.

1st generation
Dec09_63.jpg

2nd generation, maybe a little to tight
Nov2011_7.jpg

while i can understand a vest for protection, the cooling vest appears as a gimmic to me.....not for me, no thanks.

We wear ice vests at work sometimes and they suck when the ice melts. If the cold pack thaws out and you don't get it off your dog, then you'll be shopping for a new dog.

Back