Cooking the doves?

jmac

A friend of mine and I where talking about how we prepare are doves. I always soak my doves in a salt water solution to remove the blood. He stated that he never does the salt water soak to remove the blood, because it removes the mosture from them and the taste.

What do you do to prep your doves?

If you do not use salt water soak, Do you worry about pathogens or is cooking them enough to kill any pathogens?:confused:

Last edited:
I soak them in salt water to cut down the gamey taste because they are pretty dark meat. Cooking them thoroughly will eliminate pathogens.

The key is the recipe! What's yours?

I soak in salt water as well. Difficult if breasted with the bone in to get all the blood out even so. I don't worry about pathogens, probably a bigger risk of lead poisoning. They are dark buggers and I suspect should be served rather rare, but so far I haven't had the courage as yet.

I butterfly the breast and put in a sliver of jalepeno pepper, then wrap in bacon. Smoke for a couple of hours, eat the bacon, and through the rest away...:D. Don't eat the dove; but actually have a teacher that loves them. She takes every bird I shoot.

I don't soak mine, and most of the time I like to serve them medium.

My mouth is already watering over the pot of dove chili I'll be taking to the mountains when we go quail hunting.

Fillet breast meat off the bone

Place a slice of fresh apple on the breast half

Wrap in a half slice of smoked bacon, secured with a toothpick

Cook over mesquite-laced charcoal

Thanking all of you for your responces, and recipes.

I think my freinds not soaking his doves in salt-water is why they taste like liver. I'll be soaking mine so like JMc, I don't have to eat just the bacon.:D

Clean em, wash em thoroughly getting rid of all feathers, blood, etc. If not cooking immediately I then put them in a colander which I put in another bowl to catch the moisture that drips off, cover with saran wrap and let sit in fridge for two or three days. I also do this with duck breasts, goose breasts, etc.

To cook - flour, brown in skillet and then cover with water and let simmer for hour or so - makes a nice gravy, serve with biscuits. Can also be done in crock pot.
Can also just brown, and then make milk gravy in skillet with drippings and serve with biscuits. Don't forget the mashed potates and fried okra.

Also like them grilled or cooked in oven, wrapped in foil with a little seasoning, cooked to about medium.

I know this is off topic. How do you hunt dove? My states finally got a season. do you decoy them are just walk for them? To lazy to look it up so I figured I'd ask the greatest hunters in the world:)

Look for cut grain fields and try to pattern the birds as they go in and out and then set up and wait. Water holes are another good option. Sometimes they are hard to pattern, but they often go into and out of fields in the same general direction. Breaks in a treeline are a good point as well as dead trees as they like to use these to sit in around the edge of the fields. Good luck. Our season comes in Saturday, ready to burn some powder.

Fillet breast meat off the bone

Place a slice of fresh apple on the breast half

Wrap in a half slice of smoked bacon, secured with a toothpick

Cook over mesquite-laced charcoal

BritChaser, I tried this last night and was very good. Thank you for sharing.:thumbsup:

fillet the meat off the bone- merinate in salad dressing for 2 or so hours-
put in George Foreman Grill for 2 min

tasty- tender- delicious

My buddies wife made great dove this weekend. She deboned the breast and marinated in terriaki sauce, then wrapped each half around a slice of pineapple and wrapped everything with bacon, tooth picke together and grilled. Very good.

Ok guys, I think we're all doctoring them up a bit much.

Let breasts age in fridge for a few days, fillet the meat off bone, pound semi thin and flat, dredge in flour and fry them like chicken. Serve with mashed potatoes, milk gravy and sweet peas. Mmm mmm good.

BritChaser, I tried this last night and was very good. Thank you for sharing.:thumbsup:

I'm glad you liked them. The apple is a good combo with the dark meat.

Ok guys, I think we're all doctoring them up a bit much.

Let breasts age in fridge for a few days, fillet the meat off bone, pound semi thin and flat, dredge in flour and fry them like chicken. Serve with mashed potatoes, milk gravy and sweet peas. Mmm mmm good.[/QUOTE

Sounds gooood.

My buddies wife made great dove this weekend. She deboned the breast and marinated in terriaki sauce, then wrapped each half around a slice of pineapple and wrapped everything with bacon, tooth picke together and grilled. Very good.

Also sounds gooooood. I think the sweetness of fruit goes well with the dark meat, in the same way as duck l'orange or with cherry sauce.

Back