Concealed Carry (cc) - A Loaded Topic

BritChaser

If a moderator nixes this thread, understood. My purpose is to start a discussion about members' cc practices, if any, and how they navigate in their states' cc laws. In Kansas where I live the legislature has made cc legal for anyone who can lawfully possess a gun; no cc license necessary. Kansas is also an open carry state although certain municipalities ban it. The city I live in does not ban open carry; however I cannot recall ever seeing open carrying here.

Kansas still licenses for cc so that residents can enjoy the now extensive reciprocity in effect with other states. For that reason I got a cc license which requires taking a one-day course, passing a test, and proficiently shooting 50 rounds at varying distances.

As far as carrying, I rarely have it on my person. Whenever I travel out of town I do have it in the car, a long-standing habit that accounts for a friend and I being alive today.

Please share your cc experiences.

Last edited:

Matt D

I always have in my vehicle but rarely do I carry on my person. I understand stuff can happen any where but where I live and travel I believe it to be very unlikely to need it on my person at all times. When I do happen to venture in to less desirable areas then I make sure it is on me. I do have my CCW license.

reddog

My wife and I both have our CC permits for Iowa and Utah for the last 5 years. Up until last month, we did not own a handgun. Times are changing fast and we thought it was time.. My wife bought a 380 last month. Finding ammo is difficult at best right now. I have not bought, but will in the next month. A 9mm. I've got a nickel Colt Python 6 inch in the safe, but that's not much of a carry gun. :). As for now, our purchases will be for hone protection, and will probably not be carried.. At this time..

goldenboy

I was on my way home from a snowmobiling trip out west. Stopped in Bismark ND for he night. was approached by a man asking for money before we entered our motel room. I encouraged him and told him we did not have any money for his "kids" dinner at 11:30 in the evening! He watched us go into our room and said "room 2, I will go to my car and get 2 guns for you SOB's." I looked at my cousin and said where is your pistol? He told me he left it in the truck. I told him I had mine but we better call the front desk so they have record that someone threatened us. 10 minutes later there was a knock on the door! Luckily it was the Bismark police. They asked for a description and left to go look for the man. Do I carry? Yes, do I ever expect to use it? No. But when threatened I felt I had a little protection if I needed it. First response is to let the police handle it, but at times they can't get there soon enough and a CC goes a long way in my mind towards protection and peace of mind.

BritChaser

I was on my way home from a snowmobiling trip out west. Stopped in Bismark ND for he night. was approached by a man asking for money before we entered our motel room. I encouraged him and told him we did not have any money for his "kids" dinner at 11:30 in the evening! He watched us go into our room and said "room 2, I will go to my car and get 2 guns for you SOB's." I looked at my cousin and said where is your pistol? He told me he left it in the truck. I told him I had mine but we better call the front desk so they have record that someone threatened us. 10 minutes later there was a knock on the door! Luckily it was the Bismark police. They asked for a description and left to go look for the man. Do I carry? Yes, do I ever expect to use it? No. But when threatened I felt I had a little protection if I needed it. First response is to let the police handle it, but at times they can't get there soon enough and a CC goes a long way in my mind towards protection and peace of mind.
You handled that situation perfectly. First thing, you remained calm because you had little if any fear because you were armed. A clear headed, non-panic mode is ideal.