computer question

alan

i have a desk top currentily... thought of maybe going to a laptop for a nmuber of reasons..... no sound (cant afford to pay a tech to fix it) on my desktop i have cable modem that i pay 71.00 a month for expensive i know reason why im thinking on a lap top..lol.. if i get a lap top could i cancell the modem part and have $71.00 more in my pocket? or am i gonna have to keep it? its a good size modem it is hi speed modem is 12 mbps

You're still going to need a modem connected to a wireless router even with a laptop. The alternative is a netcard that you can get from your cell phone company which plugs into the USB port of your laptop and you can get internet service that way. I have one for when I travel and pay about $30/month for it.

The netcard I have through Verizon is $34.99 per month

It depends on which plan you are on and what you want to do on the web. Verizon just launched new plans for mifi and 5spot mobile internet devices and I believe one of them is a 3 gigabyte allowance and runs $35.00. For unlimited and higher speeds, I'd recommend qwest or mediacom in your area. Most of the time mediacom run about $30 a month and qwest starts off at $19.99 per month but then jacks their prices up after the first year and requires a contract. Mediacom will do the same after 6 months, but if you call and threaten to cancel or switch to someone else, they'll typically lower it.

unless you plan to download and/or stream a bunch of media content (movies, music, etc) 3GB is more than sufficient in my honest opinion.

unless you plan to download and/or stream a bunch of media content (movies, music, etc) 3GB is more than sufficient in my honest opinion.

Except browsing sites with lots of pictures, I agree. Pictures tend to run the usage up as well.

For the first time visiting a site with heavy images, yes. However once you've visited the site your computer stores them in you cache and doesn't have to download them every time.

Back