complete experience

0fer2

My brother and I hunted SW MN last Weds-Fri, public lands only. Weds we hunted between rain showers, probably 1/2 day total. 1 shot fired in desperation. Thurs bright and wind guesting to 50 mph. Challenging to say the least! Only time I've hunted where it was windier was Halloween in SD, cold front pushing in with gusts to 65 mph, birds were too spooky rather than holding like we thought. Anyway, again, 1 shot fired. Seeing lots of hens, where are the #%7*! roosters? Fri a quiet morning, and I missed an easy shot why does that sting so much more when hunting is slow??? Snow started mid-day, not crazy hard but enough. With 1 hour or so left, within 5 minutes of saying ENOUGH 2 roosters like that, hunkered down like they were settled in for the night. Redemption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it was a "complete" experience. All I can say is next year could be really good with all the hens we saw, and good weather through winter and spring.

Dan

My brother and I hunted SW MN last Weds-Fri, public lands only. Weds we hunted between rain showers, probably 1/2 day total. 1 shot fired in desperation. Thurs bright and wind guesting to 50 mph. Challenging to say the least! Only time I've hunted where it was windier was Halloween in SD, cold front pushing in with gusts to 65 mph, birds were too spooky rather than holding like we thought. Anyway, again, 1 shot fired. Seeing lots of hens, where are the #%7*! roosters? Fri a quiet morning, and I missed an easy shot why does that sting so much more when hunting is slow??? Snow started mid-day, not crazy hard but enough. With 1 hour or so left, within 5 minutes of saying ENOUGH 2 roosters like that, hunkered down like they were settled in for the night. Redemption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it was a "complete" experience. All I can say is next year could be really good with all the hens we saw, and good weather through winter and spring.

Dan

Dan,

I understand your pain on missing shots on roosters. If the bird flushes wild and I miss it, it bothers me but I get over it. If I miss a bird my dog points, it burns me up because I know that I let my dog down. Those shots I miss on pointed birds stay with me for a long time. At least you were able to see some birds in tough conditions, even if they were mostly hens. That's still good dog work and that's what it's about.

Back