Coming Back to Kansas

Chestle

Hi all,

I am a former long-time Kansas resident, complete with lifetime Kansas hunting license. The various winds of fortune blew me out of Kansas to a job in Texas quite a few years ago.

As a result, I haven't hunted Kansas in many years. Used to hunt the North Central area mostly.

I'm looking at trying to squeeze in a few short trips this hunting season. I'll be coming up I-35 initially.

I haven't hunted the Wichita area much at all but I thought I'd ask for opinions of the Public and Walk-In areas along I-35 and then west of Wichita out towards Cheney reservoir and Kingman.

I'll probably have to keep this to a short schedule, like driving up on a Friday night, hunting Saturday and part of Sunday and then back Sunday afternoon/evening. So I don't really want to drive more than hunt.

Any suggestions appreciated. I do hunt with dogs; I have a few Labradors.

Thanks in advance.

it's going to be tough anywhere you go, lack of habitat and carry over birds to generate recruitment......you need to get west of Kingman for anything that might show decent numbers........probably run into more quail than pheasants, you might get lucky and pop a few stragglers...good luck...I live in FTW and hunt Kansas occasionally, use pointing dogs.

Hunter, thanks for the reply!

That's the general type info I was seeking. I wasn't looking for anyone's best spots.

I have two young Labs that need to do some more wild bird work this year; that's what is driving the idea. I had them up in South Dakota for about 10 days and they really made major progress in that time. I just want to keep them working a bit longer to cement the ideas in.

Quail are great too.

Thanks for the guidance!

might be worth a few days to renew bird contact, you should run into at least a few hens and a few coveys, which should tighten them up....if weather is nice, you can enjoy some long walks...good for man and dog! scouting cover for next season and taking notes too.

Back