Come on, SNOW!!!

A5 Sweet 16

Thank you, Mother Nature! Looks like most of the spots I hunt are in the 3"-6" zone!! Here's to hoping for 6.

16snowforecast_zpsaaago83u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Buzz is really looking forward to snow. He asked me to post a couple pics from last year. :D

111_zpsuy8nz4yh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5555_zpszkinvcni.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not that I don't like to hunt in snow but I hope it isn't like last year when they predicted a few inches and we got 17". I killed birds but it was work.
I'm not sure the first 2" or 3" will stick with as warm as the ground is.

Tim

wow

Thank you, Mother Nature! Looks like most of the spots I hunt are in the 3"-6" zone!! Here's to hoping for 6.

16snowforecast_zpsaaago83u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Buzz is really looking forward to snow. He asked me to post a couple pics from last year. :D

111_zpsuy8nz4yh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5555_zpszkinvcni.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow Buzz, those are some big fluffy birds! Well Done! Love a good snow pheasant hunt especially in the food plots and cattails...SDviking

I feel sorry for anyone coming to SD to hunt the next few days. Starting Thursday afternoon and continuing into Friday areas could get 4-8 inches of show with 30-35 mph winds gusting to 50 mph. I'll be sticking close to the fire! :)

I feel sorry for anyone coming to SD to hunt the next few days. Starting Thursday afternoon and continuing into Friday areas could get 4-8 inches of show with 30-35 mph winds gusting to 50 mph. I'll be sticking close to the fire! :)

We will be on our way tomorrow! Hopefully before the snow flies too heavy.:eek:

Oh yeah!!! Fun is on the way:thumbsup:

Cattails;)

I got the wood burner going right now George. Finally! I am sick of this mild weather. Pheasant season just started IMO.

We were supposed to go duck hunting this morning but NADA. We are getting schlocked big time. Maybe try it this afternoon. Gun deer opener tomorrow. Lots of EHD death but we'll see what peeks out. Arrowed a personal best bow buck a week ago.

We needed this weather to bunch the birds up!

First morning...

Well made it out yesterday before the weather. Left green grass and 50 degrees at home then got up this morning. Blowing 25-30 mph and gusting probably 40+. I am hard core when it comes to pheasants just not stupid like I use to be when I was young. Probably hang tight and wait for it to clear.....

Hope the storm isn't as bad as they predicted, with winds like that all the snow will be blown into Minnesota........Have a safe and great hunt Chad!

Day #1 SD Snow Strom Day!!!!!

Well I could only take it until about 130 today before I had to load up and get out. Hunting in 30+ mph wind and probably gusting to 45 it was an adventure. The snow depth is not that bad and is manageable and will only get better as it warms up.

All public ground this afternoon and I was 2 for 4 and my father was 0 for 2 unforunately. I should of easily had my limit even in the extreme conditions. Having that first trip issue of getting the gun far enough out in front. Dog work was up to par as always even in the snow and wind. We should of had probably 4-5 total today if the shooting was a little better. We probably seen 50 birds total this afternoon.

Tomorrow will be 37 and 5-10 mph wind I expect it will be a very good day.

Did the Ditches

I hunted ditches today west river along Rt 90. Only started at 1:30 and shot 2 though I put up probably 100 birds. Had one stretch where my dog pointed al least 15 hens, they didn't want to move even at 2:30. The cattails along the roads are snowed in, all birds were in thick switchgrass clumps, not bromme (sp?). They are really wild now.

BeirlSetters,
Good to see that you made it out and got a couple. No travel at all recommended in my county today and that seemed prudent.

I'm glad I got out yesterday and shot one last pre-snow bird right before sunset. I think we got around 7 inches here but by late in the day it was clear that it had melted from the bottom quite a bit. It was the worst snow I've ever had to blow off the driveway...pure slush.

Tim

Well I could only take it until about 130 today before I had to load up and get out. Hunting in 30+ mph wind and probably gusting to 45 it was an adventure. The snow depth is not that bad and is manageable and will only get better as it warms up.

All public ground this afternoon and I was 2 for 4 and my father was 0 for 2 unforunately. I should of easily had my limit even in the extreme conditions. Having that first trip issue of getting the gun far enough out in front. Dog work was up to par as always even in the snow and wind. We should of had probably 4-5 total today if the shooting was a little better. We probably seen 50 birds total this afternoon.

Tomorrow will be 37 and 5-10 mph wind I expect it will be a very good day.
Glad to see you made it out safe and sound. Hope you enjoy the remainder of your time in SD. It sounds like you must of read my reply on another post, and my sub par shooting rubbed off:eek: not to worry you'll catch up tomorrow :thumbsup: have fun, keep us up to date, and most of all have some respect and quit shooting your Dads birds :p

I am sick of this mild weather. Pheasant season just started IMO.

Yep. The Indian summer was nice but it's now time for old-man-winter to start making his mark. Time to pheasant hunt!:thumbsup:

Well Saturday was a very good day we shot a 3 man limit by 330pm. Have a few friends out from Indiana for a few days. Yesterday hunting with them we were only able to shoot 3 birds. We worked for all birds we were able to shoot. We did have some other opportunities but couldn't capitalize, overall it was a tough day of hunting. I guess you could say it was very humbling but everything can change today. Hunting in SD is day to day and you have to take the good days with the bad. Hours away from pounding the ground again this morning.....

Last edited:
Seven roosters in the bag on Monday. Covered a lot of ground and even discovered some new ground that held a tons of birds. Looks like doing the extra work to expand our ground is paying off. Some of the ground that has been good the last few years is dead this year. It's not because there is a lack of birds but lack of harvested crops in the area.

This will be day five,and we filled out so far. We had to search out new areas but we do that most years. It's been mostly cattail swamp hunting,and we were able to walk on some ice yesterday.

Back