Colorado Stats so Far

cedahm

With all the good tech on the phone (namely the geopdf maps and Apple Health), and being kind of a stats geek anyway, I totaled up some stats so far this year for Colorado:

Days Hunted = 8
Miles Walked = 59.3
Birds Harvested = 13
Properties/Fields Walked = 48
Properties/Fields that held birds = 37

Miles per Bird harvested = 4.56
Birds/Day = 1.63
Field Efficacy = 77%
Public Access land = 95%

If I were to include 4 days in South Dakota and 1 in Wyoming (Springer), the averages get much better, but seeing as how both my Brittanys are retired, and for 6 of the 8 days in CO I was solo/no dog, I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. It doesn't include birds harvested by friends on the days I wasn't solo, just my own. It does include 2 lost birds.

Very cool information. Thank you for sharing. I need to total my numbers up. My goose egg last Thursday hurts my success ratio.

Very cool information. Thank you for sharing. I need to total my numbers up. My goose egg last Thursday hurts my success ratio.

Yeah - it is still CO, so harvest numbers are what they are. At our friend's place in SD, 1.6 birds a day and 4.5 miles a bird would be a very tough year plus some horrific shooting.

I was really interested in the amount of fields where I saw birds. Mentally, I had it closer to 90%. I didn't track that specifically so it is probably even higher than 77%, since I was going off waypoints that were named things like 'Dont bother', etc. I don't think I walked them all, just made some notes driving by.

I will NOT be calculating cost per pound or miles driven - I learned long ago that's a bad idea :)

Would love to put a tracker on the dog and see how many miles he actually puts in. Might be a bit humbling in comparison to my miles.:eek:

Great stats. Makes one wonder how many miles we've walked over the years.

We put trackers on the dogs and us on a trip to Wyoming once. The dogs did about 2 - 2.5 x what we did mile wise. Really cool info you have.

Would love to put a tracker on the dog and see how many miles he actually puts in. Might be a bit humbling in comparison to my miles.:eek:

Great stats. Makes one wonder how many miles we've walked over the years.

Yesterday I walked 8.6 miles and one dog did 38 miles and the other did 32. From my experience with garmin alpha. Its usually about 4x the amount I walk. Depends on the type of dog too. The setter does way more than the vizslas

We did approximately 26 miles in two days hunting sage grouse in September. If 4 times the distance is close to being right no wonder my lab didn't want to go on the last walk...

A lab won't generally put on as many miles. Example from last year looking back at the alpha. One day we did about 12 miles for the humans. My setter did 42 miles. Buddies lab did 19. Vizslas did about 32-36. Most labs I've seen arent as big of runners. Kind of a flusher vs. pointer thing. Pointers will cover alot more ground depending on the breed. Id say if you are hunting flushers that stay within gun range its about 2 times what humans walk.

Really hadn't given the mileage too much though until Pheasants Forever did their Rooster Roadtrip stats.. My Springer is pretty active and I'm sure puts on more miles than my lab.. My lab will range at times and get a bit off the beaten path though.. I'll keep those stats in mind and see how many mile we do approximately in January.

Best place to hunt

I'm up in Fort Collins visiting my uncle from Ft Worth Texas and we will be hunting walk in property on Christmas Day. It sounds like you have a lot success on public land and wanted to get your expert advise!!!! Where are the best places to hunt this year so far? I would appreciate any suggestions or feed back...thank you!!!

Really hadn't given the mileage too much though until Pheasants Forever did their Rooster Roadtrip stats.. My Springer is pretty active and I'm sure puts on more miles than my lab.. My lab will range at times and get a bit off the beaten path though.. I'll keep those stats in mind and see how many mile we do approximately in January.

Only hunted with one springer a few years ago and it put on the miles. Didnt have gps but was moving quick and didnt get out more than 50 yards. Quartered very fast.

Not sure about the number of fields or miles I have put on but

Days hunted- 4
Birds harvested- 11

On all but one day I was done before 1 pm.

With all the good tech on the phone (namely the geopdf maps and Apple Health), and being kind of a stats geek anyway, I totaled up some stats so far this year for Colorado:

Days Hunted = 8
Miles Walked = 59.3
Birds Harvested = 13
Properties/Fields Walked = 48
Properties/Fields that held birds = 37

Miles per Bird harvested = 4.56
Birds/Day = 1.63
Field Efficacy = 77%
Public Access land = 95%

If I were to include 4 days in South Dakota and 1 in Wyoming (Springer), the averages get much better, but seeing as how both my Brittanys are retired, and for 6 of the 8 days in CO I was solo/no dog, I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. It doesn't include birds harvested by friends on the days I wasn't solo, just my own. It does include 2 lost birds.

To me that's a outstanding season if you don't have a dog... If you are seeing this action for the days hunted with a dog you will be slaying the roosters...

If I ever make it to eastern CO I'll see what I can do about you not having a dog to hunt behind...

Golden triangle area??? I dont need exact Info don't wanna blow up the area not cool... Wanted to do a mixed pheasant/scaled quail hunt in east CO last Jan but did not pan out...

Happy hunting the rest of the season

To me that's a outstanding season if you don't have a dog... If you are seeing this action for the days hunted with a dog you will be slaying the roosters...

If I ever make it to eastern CO I'll see what I can do about you not having a dog to hunt behind...

Golden triangle area??? I dont need exact Info don't wanna blow up the area not cool... Wanted to do a mixed pheasant/scaled quail hunt in east CO last Jan but did not pan out...

Happy hunting the rest of the season

I have been very happy with this season. Regionally (Logan/Sedwick/Phillips counties) the population is definitely up. In some local areas - it's significantly up.

I did another 8.8 miles last wednesday for 3 birds (lost the last one, though). So that brings the average miles/bird down a bit.

My wife has laid down a strict '2 dogs at a time' rule. Their retirement status does not play into the cap. I can tell you - I have learned quite a lot about pheasant behavior going dog-less. I go slower and in more of a 'dog' pattern (windshield wiper versus just straight lining the dog's track). I stop and pause a LOT more than I would with a pup. 90% of the flushes come on the pause. Not like that's new news, but it's been pounded into my head this year. Especially since I am used to hunting over Brittany's - with whom slowing down wasn't usually an option :)

Back