Collar ?

JMc

Super Moderator
I need a new collar and don't want to break the bank and really do not need any bells or whistles. Just a good corrective collar with nick capabilty and vibe or sound alert along with 1/2 mile range. I had the SportDog 800 and it wasn't bad but would like to consider TriTronics or Dogtra. Any suggestions?

From what I understand The dogtra's are the ones they have been having trouble with. I have new Tritronics and it seems alright. I have only had it a few months so I really don't know yet. It is a nice unit small and light which is nice. All it says on it is "EXP" so I guess that could be the model number or name.---Bob

I need a new collar and don't want to break the bank and really do not need any bells or whistles. Just a good corrective collar with nick capabilty and vibe or sound alert along with 1/2 mile range. I had the SportDog 800 and it wasn't bad but would like to consider TriTronics or Dogtra. Any suggestions?

Hey JMC here is a website: www.collardoctor.com The website sales tri-tronics refurbish collars, also if you know anybody that is a tri-tronics rep they may be able to help you get a lower price.

I have a tri t, field 70 2 dog and a dogtra 1500 ncp, I like the dogtra, and every one just about in our trial sport has these and I have never herd of a problem with the dogtra. It may be a certain one I dont know, they did just come out with some new ones. I did have to send my tri t in for repair the 1st year but now no trouble after 7 years.

I've had Innotek, TriTronics and currently Dogtra. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with TriTronics or Dogtra. But steer clear of Innotek, they are junk.

I've had really good luck with the Dogtra and like it because the receiver unit is smaller than most collars. So it the transmitter.

The TriTronics sport basic is real nice. You can run 3 dogs on it and the buzz feature is great, as you don't even have to nick your dog. You can use it for silent dog commands, so you have that stealth advantage when hunting roosters.

I like my dogstra because the vibrate button is completely separate from the nick/cont buttons. The only button that I hit all of last season was the vibrate. Didn't have to worry about accidently hitting the wrong button even with gloves on.

Have a DT Systems and a Sportdog 1800. Both work alright. For two dogs the Sportdog is nice because you can program the collar so each button controls one collar instead of having to switch a really small lever. The DT systems charger connector did break after 2 years.

From what I understand The dogtra's are the ones they have been having trouble with.

Which Dogtra model(s) would that be and what is the issue their having?

In the past Dogtra's have been some of the most reliable collars made. I can't speak for the newer (Recent new releases) but past models have been absolute "bullet proof".

Have a DT Systems and a Sportdog 1800. Both work alright. For two dogs the Sportdog is nice because you can program the collar so each button controls one collar instead of having to switch a really small lever. The DT systems charger connector did break after 2 years.

Which DT systems collar do you have? I have been curious as to the new SPT 2400 series. Looks like a very nice setup, but haven't been able to find anyone who has one or has used one.

It was the 2002plus. Worked good until the charger plugs broke. They rusted up and the little metal clip broke off. Need to send it in one of these days

I really don't know the model numbers I was reading it on another dog website. I was just repeating what most of the guys over there were saying. I got an Innotek last summer and it was broke almost from the day I got. So I shipped it back and got a refund.---Bob

Last edited:
It amazes me that Innotek continues to make junk. I had my first Innotek 13 years ago and it lasted about as long as Bob's. But I guess as long as people continue to buy them they will keep putting them out there.

I have had a Tritronics Field 70 and now have a Dogtra 1803NC. I really like the Dogtra better than the Tritronics. It may have been replaced by a new model 2000NCP, but you may still be able to find the 1800.

I am a Dogtra guy. I would recommend any of the line. It all depends on what you want and your preferences. I have used Sportdog before and like that as well.

Ihave a DT systems spt 7400. It is an older model but basically has everything there new 2400 has except the jump rise.
It works great. I would like a smaller box on the collar for my next purchase. My GSP doesn't like the large DT systems box under her neck.

Back