Colder Weekend?

akahunter

Went out for the opener last weekend in NW Kansas. 10 in the group (2 12yr old girls on their first hunt) hunted til 2 on sat and sun and shot 37 both days. almost none of the birds held tight in the heat. plus most of the corn and milo was still standing. talked to a couple farmers in the area yesterday and they are getting alot of cutting done this week. headed out again this weekend, and hopefully the cold weather keeps them a little tighter in cover.

Cooler Second Weekend

According to the weather forecast, temps will be 20 degrees cooler in NW where I will be hunting. Yes, the birds should hold better and maybe the cover will get more frost on it and stay damp longer.

Your party did well. Did the girls enjoy hunting? Any problems when it came to killing wounded birds or cleaning? Any kid can be intimidated by the pheasant facts of life their first time out. The girls showed pluck in just going. Good job spreading the joy of hunting.

That sounds like a great opening weekend! What part of the state were you hunting? Was it on privat ground or walk in access? I'm surprised the unharvested crops didn't create misery for you.

I can't wait until my little one is old enough to join me.

the girls had fun. they are my cousins, and they had been one before but they just walked the fields with us and didnt hunt. this year they hunted and had a great time. they are twins and one is a tomboy and the other is a girly girl, so they are a funny pair when cleaning birds.

ya, the standing crops protected alot of roosters. but if i had it my way i would have standing corn every opening weekend. it saves sooo many birds from the huge openening weekend crowds, and leaves them for us real hunters for later in the season :D

the girls had fun. they are my cousins, and they had been one before but they just walked the fields with us and didnt hunt. this year they hunted and had a great time. they are twins and one is a tomboy and the other is a girly girl, so they are a funny pair when cleaning birds.

ya, the standing crops protected alot of roosters. but if i had it my way i would have standing corn every opening weekend. it saves sooo many birds from the huge openening weekend crowds, and leaves them for us real hunters for later in the season :D

I know exactly what your saying about giving the roosters a place to hide until the masses get out of the field. I usually do most of my hunting in Dec and Jan. Good luck to ya!

This Weekend

Headed out for a day hunt this weekend. Hopefully the winds will stay calmer than they have been. I'll give a report when I return. Good luck to all who hunt this year..:thumbsup:

Sure wish I could go with you Kiotehntr, but I'm leaving the wifey at home by herself when I go to ND for Thanksgiving. I'm going to take her to the fights Saturday night to get her to stay off my back for the rest of season. I plan to do some hunting locally in the morning so I can get back early. I too will provide a report upon returning (well, maybe Sunday). Weather looks good.....sure hope I can find some quail on public land tomorrow!!! Headed to Pott county..........

Sure wish I could go with you Kiotehntr, but I'm leaving the wifey at home by herself when I go to ND for Thanksgiving. I'm going to take her to the fights Saturday night to get her to stay off my back for the rest of season. I plan to do some hunting locally in the morning so I can get back early. I too will provide a report upon returning (well, maybe Sunday). Weather looks good.....sure hope I can find some quail on public land tomorrow!!! Headed to Pott county..........

Let me know what's your overall impression of the quail count this year. I have been very impressed with the numbers I've seen while early chicken hunting and now pheasant hunting. I think it's going to be a good year, but I would be interested to know other people's impressions.

Don't start any fires this weekend!!

Be careful in central KS this Sat and Sun. The report from the National Weather Service says there is a high-level fire danger for the region.

Be careful in central KS this Sat and Sun. The report from the National Weather Service says there is a high-level fire danger for the region.
I didn't head out afterall. With the high winds and just 2 of us hunting I didn't want to drive 4 hours and hunt in the wind. I have an excellent dog but didn't want to make the trip just yet, went fishing instead....lol.
:D

The quail population isn't so great in the area I was in. We put a lot of miles on around Jeffery Energy Center's restricted access area and only saw one covey of birds. We talked to several other hunters (outside of the restricted area) that had similar luck. I spoke to 5 other groups and none had seen more than one covey and some hadn't seen any birds at all.

There are more quail in other parts of the state though......I saw em' with my own 2 eyes;)

Back