Cold Weather Shooting Gloves

fnr1011

Anyone have a good recommendation of a pair of cold weather shooting gloves I have a pair of 40g Thinsulate insulated Red Head shooting gloves that give plenty of dexterity but they are just not warm enough. Heading to SD the weekend after next and it is supposed to be pretty chilly. Thanks in advance.

I believe I have the coldest hands of anyone alive. I have at least 10 pairs of the gloves, mittens, etc that are the world's warmest. Until I get out in the cold, that is. I have liners, Thinsulate, Gore-Tex the whole bit. The problem is if you get enough to keep you warm they are too bulky to handle your guns, shells, zippers, etc. I have looked at electric gloves but they are 12 volts and I couldn't ride a motorcycle and hunt birds. The best two options I know of now are some mittens that have a place for hand warmer pack on the back or a pair of goose down gloves from L L Bean (19.95). I just got the gloves in time for my last hunt in Kansas and they worked pretty well. You also might want to strap on a muff with a couple of packs of hand warmer material inside so that you can occassionally stop and put your hands in for a warm up.

The million dollar question. I hunt a fair amount in cold weather for birds and yotes. Most of time I get by with a pair of Boss wool "Morris feel" gloves. They are a great glove down to probably 10 degrees when walking. They are tuff to find, I don't think they make them any more. If it gets colder I put on a pair of US Army glove liners under the Boss gloves, not the wool liners but the thin polypro brown ones. Colder than that I put a pair of shooting mittens on over the Boss gloves.

I'm not sure what it's called, but my son had an idea, the patch or wrap that they sell for your back, can you attach it to your gun? Not sure if it would work, or the right size, or even if there is a way to attach. Just a thought!!!!

Rod

I hate wearing gloves because I can't feel the gun in my hands. As I'm getting older I realize that I need gloves. I bought a pair of liners from Cabela's that have grip dots on the palms and fingers and I absolutely love them. They are actually cool weather gloves not cold weather gloves but I wore them all weekend and never had an issue. If I remember correctly they were only like $14.

I guess Im somewhat lucky as my hands dont get cold too easily.
I use unlined leather gloves-Redhead brand and when it gets cold enough I just put on a thin cotton type glove as a liner.
If its too cold for that then its too cold to hunt.
Im not a fan of any of the high tech liners etc. Those scientists that develop that have probably never been in weather below 32 degrees.

under armour gloves at dicks 30 to 35 dollars fit tight on your hands and have traction on your palms the ticket!

Agreed, best gloves I've ever owned. No problem taking the safety off, loading shells, finding keys, opening my damn dip can etc... ha I got these earlier this year, and for the most part I just keep them on all day long. Even while back in the truck, you almost forget they are there.

Dicks is also the only place I have seen them.

These are close, but the ones I got were brown.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/...006605-Men-s-Armour-Stretch-Glove/1006605-001

All of my guns are double trigger so for very cold under 20 temps I use wool Glomits but normally a pair of cheap brown jersey gloves works OK.

I know I have extremely cold hands. Too many days hunting as a youth in -30 degree weather and getting frost bite. But you guys that are showing some of these relatively thin gloves and calling them "cold weather gloves" I guess you don't hunt in very cold weather. When I think of "cold weather gloves" I'm thinking of gloves that will keep my hands warm when the temps are below zero and wind chills are -20 and lower. I don't think some of the gloves recommended here would handle those conditions.

I've never found the perfect glove for extremely cold conditions. Like someone else said, if you get the glove warm enough it's too thick and heavy to function properly. I find that a mitten with a good wool liner on the non-shooting hand and a leather glove with a wool liner on the shooting hand works pretty good. I also use some heat packs in my gloves when really cold. One problem I've had with Gore-Tex like gloves is that the glove gets damp inside from condensation and then your hands really get cold.

I think the heavy wool mittens that peel back to expose your fingers are pretty good. The problem with these is that the fingers are only half-fingers when you pull the mitt back. I saw a pair some place tht had full fingers under the mitten but don't know where I saw them. Anybody have any ideas?

I use UnderArmour liners on mild days but add Redhead Windstoppers with the liners on cold days. Also, if it is freeeeezzzzzing, I will put the "little toasty things that heat up" inside the top of my glove. Seems to heat the blood coming in and keeps fingers warm.

Morris Feel Gloves

Does anyone know where to find these. My last pair has holes in them and I have looked around to no avail.

A Montana family tradition of sorts has been using Elkskin unlined gloves with a pair of wool liners inserted. I've been using Churchills (I can only remember three pairs I've used in my life, they last forever) http://www.jrcglove.com/elkskin.html
They have lots of sizes, akin to shoe sizes rather than customary SML so you are best to try them on with the liners before blindly ordering.

Like a good pair of boots they take some breaking in and at first they seem very bulky but once broken in they really are the best gloves in my opinion for cold weather shooting and working.

For me, this combo maintains dexterity without sacrificing warmth and the elkskin is both supple and long lasting.

Does anyone know where to find these. My last pair has holes in them and I have looked around to no avail.

They no longer make them. It is hard to find them. Check in small off the beaten path sporting good stores.

The best thing that works for me, whether bird or elk hunting is a pair of jerseys and then a pair of fingerless wool over the top. The only problem is they are a little slick.

Back