cockleburs

wesslpointer

I talk to a guy today with a Pudelpointer "long haired" that was covered head to tail with cockleburs was not happy one bit with the long coat he had had a "short coat Pudelpointer and they were not a problem. I thought he could clip him but then wouldn't he get cold as Pudelpointers only have a single coat unlike a labs double coat. Any one have any thoughts on this?

I hunted behind a big hairy beast of a dog for 8 yrs. I would spend at least a half hour after evry hunt removing cockle burs. that hair tho was vital to protecting the dog from weather, brush etc. i tried shaving him once and he got all red and beat up from the cover.

get some of the stuff that horse folks use for tails etc. I forget some of the names. I have 2 Goldens and use it too. For the most part I just snip them out. I dont bother trying to comb them out. I keep a small scissor in my coat pocket-snip- off they come. I dont care how they look at the end of the season, theyre hunting dogs.

Cowboy Magic and mash the burr with pliers....small mat cutter to comb 'em out and Bob's your uncle...other than when the burrs be in a...special...spot.

cockleburr stone??

yes it's true:thumbsup: someone gave me a (burz off is the brand name) stone. you just brush them away it's that EASY :D. well that's what the package says. i've never opened it :).:cheers:

My response would be this. I have 3 longhaired dogs. Small Munsterlanders. I spend about 10 minutes each combing out burs and such. It isnt a big deal.
After a hunt if you cant spend 10 minutes checking your dog over for injuries or combing out burs your best not to own one.
When I hunt, my dogs eat before I eat, they get water before I get watered and they are bedded down before I am.
They work 90% harder then I do, me taking an extra 10 minutes to comb them out isnt going to kill me.

I will use Johnson and Johnsons no more tangles on them. Smells real good too!

For years, I've heard about spraying Spam on the feathering of a dog. Never did it; would have felt foolish. :)

My wirehairs picked up a bunch, especially early in the season. As time wore on they had less coat, because of my snipping, and we always spent time in the field looking for cockleburrs in their pads and at the leg-pits (arm-pits?), which would cause them pain or damage.

Once home, coffee in hand, a thorough exam was just part of hunting. Never an issue.

But, I gotta tell you, there were times when Young Bert, the not-right dog, looked like a weed-seed distribution center. :)

As it now stands, Mick the springer, just got his pre-season grooming of his feathering, tail and ears. Silky haired dogs can develop the most astounding tangles with weed seeds.

I clip my Setters before the season, usually when beginning to exercise them prior to the opener. This year I've been negligent, but Max hasn't gotten anything a little brushing won't handle. In fact, today he's a muddy mess, which will have us both in trouble with the wife when we get home.

When I go pheasant hunting I pack the electric clippers just in case. Two dogs ago old Molly was so covered she couldn't lay down. I clipped off a soccer ball-sized pile that time. What a mess. Two years later going into the same patch of cover I refused to take my dog in. My cousin volunteered with his golden and later admitted he should have taken my lead. He had to borrow my clippers. I've tried the sprays and such, but the clippers is the quickest and least painful for the pup.

I get all the long pretty feathers cut off my Brit before we hit the field in the fall.

My girlfriend has show Irish setters (yes they point) and since they are still being shown (one's almost finished) she sprays Pam on them and that keeps the burrs away.
Other dogs like to lick them though.

Another plus for a labrador!:) Almost all types of burrs come right out with some brushing and hand picking.

Yes:thumbsup: What about those sand burrs, I have a leather clove in my pocket. Wicked things!

yes it's true:thumbsup: someone gave me a (burz off is the brand name) stone. you just brush them away it's that EASY :D. well that's what the package says. i've never opened it

Thank you Iowa. I have one of those in my miscellaneous "hunting gear" drawer. For the past two years I couldn't remember what that thing was for.:confused: It's clicked. It's to remove burs from my wife's fluffer dog.

Thank you:):cheers:

I clip my Setters before the season, usually when beginning to exercise them prior to the opener. This year I've been negligent, but Max hasn't gotten anything a little brushing won't handle. In fact, today he's a muddy mess, which will have us both in trouble with the wife when we get home.

When I go pheasant hunting I pack the electric clippers just in case. Two dogs ago old Molly was so covered she couldn't lay down. I clipped off a soccer ball-sized pile that time. What a mess. Two years later going into the same patch of cover I refused to take my dog in. My cousin volunteered with his golden and later admitted he should have taken my lead. He had to borrow my clippers. I've tried the sprays and such, but the clippers is the quickest and least painful for the pup.

RR, I feel your pain! Literally, in my finger tips.:eek: I once removed a soccer ball size mass off the Golden we used to have. Scissors, clippers, tugging, it took HOURS! That was the last season he didn't get clipped before hunting.

Happy to report that our current hunters have shorter coats naturally! Honestly, my hat's off to you guys that are still fighting the burs. :10sign: You are tougher/more stubborn than me!

Another plus for a labrador!:) Almost all types of burrs come right out with some brushing and hand picking.

Ill keep the burrs!:p:);)

V-John, but what about how the dogs felt tot he touch with Pam all over them? Did she have to bathe them right away?

Right now my long haired Kleine Munsterlander looks more like a GSP. I have combed all his hair on his ears and leg furnishings out. With this breed we would have to make sure we kept them out of the burrs until we got breeding approval r we would be screwed!

hair coat

Ill keep the burrs!:p:);)

V-John, but what about how the dogs felt tot he touch with Pam all over them? Did she have to bathe them right away?

Right now my long haired Kleine Munsterlander looks more like a GSP. I have combed all his hair on his ears and leg furnishings out. With this breed we would have to make sure we kept them out of the burrs until we got breeding approval r we would be screwed!
Does the Munsterlander have a single coat "hair coat" like the Wire Haired dogs or soft coated setter? Aren't you reducing the dogs natural protection and warmth by clipping of the coat?

For years, I've heard about spraying Spam on the feathering of a dog. Never did it; would have felt foolish. :)

My wirehairs picked up a bunch, especially early in the season. As time wore on they had less coat, because of my snipping, and we always spent time in the field looking for cockleburrs in their pads and at the leg-pits (arm-pits?), which would cause them pain or damage.

Once home, coffee in hand, a thorough exam was just part of hunting. Never an issue.

But, I gotta tell you, there were times when Young Bert, the not-right dog, looked like a weed-seed distribution center. :)

As it now stands, Mick the springer, just got his pre-season grooming of his feathering, tail and ears. Silky haired dogs can develop the most astounding tangles with weed seeds.
Use straight murphys oil soap. Put some on apply water to get some lather and it will get that coat in the proper condition for maintenance. I use it on my chessie and there aren't any issues with water in the winter.

Furminator, small scissors and patience... best with a beer in the hand in the back of the tahoe at the end of day... the furminator comb works well sans beer too.

for years, i've heard about spraying spam on the feathering of a dog. Never did it; would have felt foolish. :)

my wirehairs picked up a bunch, especially early in the season. As time wore on they had less coat, because of my snipping, and we always spent time in the field looking for cockleburrs in their pads and at the leg-pits (arm-pits?), which would cause them pain or damage.

But, i gotta tell you, there were times when young bert, the not-right dog, looked like a weed-seed distribution center. :)

as it now stands, mick the springer, just got his pre-season grooming of his feathering, tail and ears. Silky haired dogs can develop the most astounding tangles with weed seeds.
pam or spam--spam would make the pup rather attractive to the larger predators like coot.

Back