Cleaning the freezer

goldeneye

A meal fit for Zeb
Wood Duck - Garlic biscuits and salad with home made dressing.
Plus some Forty Creek Just for Zeb (thinking of you Bud) :thumbsup:

011.jpg

012-2.jpg

Last edited:
I got a few more in the freezer. I'll pull them out for you :cheers:

I either vacume seal the meat or double wrap it in freezer paper

Awesome looking meal Lee

I freeze all my ducks in water. They are always good for a year.

I either vacume seal the meat or double wrap it in freezer paper

I have the "top of the line" vacuum sealer by Food Saver. I use it a lot for game birds and it does a decent job. But nothing works as well in preventing freezer burn that freezing birds in water. Years ago I use to take the 1/2 gallon milk containers that were the waxed carboard type and put a whole pheasant in them, fill 'em with water, close and freeze. Never had a freezer burned bird.

I have the "top of the line" vacuum sealer by Food Saver. I use it a lot for game birds and it does a decent job. But nothing works as well in preventing freezer burn that freezing birds in water. Years ago I use to take the 1/2 gallon milk containers that were the waxed carboard type and put a whole pheasant in them, fill 'em with water, close and freeze. Never had a freezer burned bird.

x2. The milk jugs work great. You can store up to 2 years with no problems. I store fish all year like that. We were eating crappie filets in january that tasted fresh caught. Now that just made me hungry, Fried pheasant strips, with crappie mushrooms on the side. Fried sweet cornbread for desert.

Dove Recipe

Came up with this on Sat. which made for some good eating of last season's doves:

Fillet breast meat off breast bone

Put slice of fresh peeled apple on breast fillet

Wrap breast fillet and apple slice with 1/2 a slice smoked bacon; secure all w/toothpick

Grill to suit over mesquite-laced charcoal.

Scrumptious if I do say so myself.

How are they not freezer burned by now?

don't put anything in the freezer real wet- let it air out a bit- wrap in glad wrap or such- then in freezer paper- keep freezer at 18 degrees or below

I have some elk steaks from 3 years ago- not one bit of freezer burn- and they are still right tasty

I got a good buy a month ago- rib eye at $3.99 a lb- bought 37 lbs- cut into meal sized, glad wrapped, and freezer wrapped- bet there isn't anyone who won't think they aren't good next year when I put a couple on the grill

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me! I need to go through the freezer tomorrow, think there are a few woodcock left from last year that need eaten up! I too freeze in water.

Back