cleaning pheasants....HELP

seahawks_fan

So how does everyone clean pheasant. Ive just started hunting and need help sorry if this sounds stupid but im new. Been hunting for couple years and havent seen many burds in the past but went out last weekend drivibg and saw a lot of pheasant.

Ive seen many different ideas. Some say bleed the birds out right away by taking off the head and some dont. What does everyone do? Thanks for all the help.

Field Dress Pheasants

There's a long thread with many variations titled "Field Dress Pheasants ". Do a search with that title and it should come up.

Lay the pheasant on the ground, belly down. Fold both wings straight to the side. Take your feet and put them on the wings, as close to the body as you can. Make sure your feet are firmly planted. Grab the legs, one with each hand and pull up straight towards you.

Lay the pheasant on the ground, belly down. Fold both wings straight to the side. Take your feet and put them on the wings, as close to the body as you can. Make sure your feet are firmly planted. Grab the legs, one with each hand and pull up straight towards you.

This method works if you have two good wings. Otherwise you can pull a wing off. Here's another way to get the same results without having to worry about the wing. Pull the skin back on the breast. With one hand grasp the breast sticking one or two fingers down into the neck cavity. With your other hand grab the neck and pull in opposite directions. The result if you end up with the breast and wings in one hand. Trim off one wing and you're good to go. It's tough but once you get used to it the process works well and you don't have to worry about pulling off a wing. Of course this method is generally used when only saving the breast meat. I know quite a few on this site frown on this but the fact is this a common method that many hunters use. I'm not taking sides on that issue.

This method works if you have two good wings. Otherwise you can pull a wing off. Here's another way to get the same results without having to worry about the wing. Pull the skin back on the breast. With one hand grasp the breast sticking one or two fingers down into the neck cavity. With your other hand grab the neck and pull in opposite directions. The result if you end up with the breast and wings in one hand. Trim off one wing and you're good to go. It's tough but once you get used to it the process works well and you don't have to worry about pulling off a wing. Of course this method is generally used when only saving the breast meat. I know quite a few on this site frown on this but the fact is this a common method that many hunters use. I'm not taking sides on that issue.

I don't take sides on the issue either. Sometimes a guy just has to use some common sense on which method to use while cleaning birds. I like to keep the breast and legs, but also try to keep every scrap of meat possible.

That doesn't work if you can't bend over that far because of frontal restrictions:p

Amen, Tom. I clean mine on a table. I have all I can do to bend down and take a retrieved bird from the dog, lol.

I skin my birds and then take game shears and cut up the back bone and open them up and clean them out. Works very well and can save all the bird. I feel not using all you can is wasteful and would be like picking up only every other bird you kill.

I skin my birds.
When the dog brings one back, I take a small knife and cut at the bottom of the ribcage, then tear the skin open so that I can reach in and pull out the soft tissue organs, all the way up to the throat. I pull them all out and pitch them away. With my GWPs, I'd save the liver and heart and give them to the dogs as a treat. My Springer doesn't like them.

Then I stick the field-dressed bird in an empty bread sack and put it in my game pouch; this keeps any blood from getting in the pouch and keeps debris from getting on the bird.

Once home, I take a pruning shears or game scissors out. I work my fingers between the skin and the flesh and separate the two on each leg. I snip the legs bones and pull the legs away from the skin. I continue the separation up the breast to the wings, and snip the wings away from the carcass. Next I cut the neck and head off and then pull the rest of the skin off the carcass down the back, cutting the fleshy stub of the tail off.

It goes quickly if the bird is still somewhat warm. In the end, I have the thighs, legs chest and back of a skinned bird. Then I usually trim all the yellow fat off the bird since I don't like the taste.

A thorough washing in running water, drain, and refrigeration comes next.

The head, wings, all skin, and legs are often in one piece. Some years a guy who participates in Rendezvous reenactments asks for the skins to make buckskin decorations or some such.

Best wishes.

Back