Chokes

Birdman2

Ok I'm curious what chokes you guys use early season, late season. Recently I was on another site and some clay shooters mentioned improved modified. The more I read the more I liked what I heard about this constriction. So I ordered 2 for my main O/U and then went out to shoot a few clays. Hey I really like this choke.

I used to switch them up here and there but the last two years I've used strictly modified and have been very pleased. This is for 100% pheasant hunting in Iowa over flushers.

IC and mod for pheasant. Cyl and skeet for quail and dove.

I have a Briley Improved Modified, Modified, and Light Modified. Will start the season with the Mod then go to the Imp Mod. I use the Light Mod for dove and for Non Toxic Shot.

Trulock Light Mod in my new-style Sweet 16 all season long for phez.
I'll use that for sharptails & huns in Sept, and when I'm carrying my 28ga o/u it's IC/Mod.

Depends wether I'm shooting steel or lead. The Black Cloud goose loads I shoot at phez pattern better with full choke but the lead ones are better with modified choke tube. And it don't matter what time of season it is. I take the same shots irregardless of time & a old roody is always a old roody. He don't change much in a couple months so neither does what I shoot him with.

Thanks for posting, Hyresmack. By the way, what is a roody?

IC all season in my 12 gauge (lead shot). I don't start hunting pheasants until mid November. Almost all of my shots are within 30 yards though.

Modified in a Benelli Montefeltro is a good pattern for the steel and bismuth I shoot. You can choke bismuth down but I get 67% average at 40 yards with mod. and 80+% at 30 yds so I'm sticking with it. I didn't like the full pattern with bismuth. I do shoot steel the first 10 days to 2 weeks and change to bismuth later in season but that's maybe my way of trying to be thriftier. I hunt heavily pressured public land with a lab.

Subscribed.........home in the northeast using lead on planted birds that are slow I use a IC on my new Sweet 16. First time bringing this gun out west to SD this coming fall, and having never shot non-toxic thru it I really don't know what to use or to expect on longer shots

Subscribed.........home in the northeast using lead on planted birds that are slow I use a IC on my new Sweet 16. First time bringing this gun out west to SD this coming fall, and having never shot non-toxic thru it I really don't know what to use or to expect on longer shots
If you don't plan to do formal patterning w/ the gun/load/choke combinations you're considering, then just put in MOD & forget about it. You'll most likely be fine.

Back