choke tube/shot size

alan

i have a browning invector plus bps 12 gauge with a full choke tube in it will this be ok for walking ditches? or should i go by another one? brought the gun used from someone its in good shape and shoots good..i got a good deal on it only paid 100.00 for it lol...

i have 5 boxes of 8 shot will these work ( they are the cheap ones the ones you shoot when throwing clays)..or should i go by regular game loads... what size do most of you guys use? anyone use 3" shells?

I would probably get an ic or mod choke for the gun and pick up some 6 or 5 shot for pheasants.

At least high velocity loads of 6's -4's, my choice would be modified because it will give you better pattern spread at closer ranges. If you hunt areas where non-toxic shot is required, you might find that even imp cyl. is better. Invector plus tubes are marked for both lead and steel. But for sure low velocity 8's are no load for pheasants, to light, leads to a lot of crippling, as I remember you are also dogless, so I would go heavy on the shot and load, you want to anchor that bird dead, or the difficulty of recovering shot birds are going to be frustrating.

will the full work for right know? till i can get me a different on? on a limited tight income (disability)

Adjustments Needed

I recommend an improved cylinder choke tube and 1 1/4 oz. of no. 5 or 6 shot in a 2 3/4 inch shell.

Last edited:
will the full work for right know? till i can get me a different on? on a limited tight income (disability)

You can purchase the Invector Plus choke tubes for around $25. Like others have said, get either IC or Mod. If you can only afford one tube I'd get the Mod.

Target loads with #8 shot will not work for pheasants. You need heavier loads with larger shot. You can buy decent field loads with 1 1/4 oz. of shot and a muzzle velocity of 1,330 for $8-$10 per box.

Same as other... but to amplify...

If you can't afford a choke, sure, wait. It will be harder to hit them with full, but if you do, you will have a more dense pattern.

but... DO NOT!!!! go hunting with number 8s... you will just cripple birds. Better to not hunt than do that.

PS: pretty awesome deal on the gun dude... I'll double your price and buy it from you for $200:p (My drug addict ex traded my BPS for drugs... I love that gun.)

wall mart has some decent prices on shells- I'd pick up a box of 6's field load- set up something like a large box at 30 yards- kneel down and steady shoot-

your full might do fine at 30-40 yards- patern to see what the shell hits like-
ideally- 20" nice pattern with no golfball sized holes- 20" because you should have some pellets scattered a bit- weaker patern outside that circle

if those shells don't pattern- try a different brand- you never know about a gun, choke, and load unless you try some

nice buy on the gun

will remington chokes inner change with browning?? by chance?i have an 870 but i wanna convert it to deer since i do have the slug barrel..i do have imp cylinder and a mod for rem..would it work in browning??

i was out all day today walking ditches etc....NOTone bird was out from 8 till 4....ill be back at it again tomorow just different area

will remington chokes inner change with browning?? by chance?i have an 870 but i wanna convert it to deer since i do have the slug barrel..i do have imp cylinder and a mod for rem..would it work in browning??

Browning's use Invector Plus choke tubes; don't know what type/brand Remington's use.

No. go to a choke tube makers website like Briley and look it up. They will tell what interchanges with what on their interchange chart.........Bob

Back