Chicks

I was home by the Iowa farm on Sat eve. We drove by the field and low and behold, right away there was a pack of 9 as well. Pics coming. Not all in the pic but they were all out to count at a couple moments, even mom popped out but no shot. Strange thing is they were all 3-4 weeks old, but 1 was about a week old. I suspect he fell in from another group, or they were in the ditch as well, or possibly the only survivor of another family. And dam lucky to hook up with these. I wish to believe there was two groups in the ditch.:thumbsup: They were very flighty already at 3 weeks.

Beautiful news guys:thumbsup: FC, looking forward to see those pictures!:cheers:

Cut oats seen 13 chicks could kinda fly already. Then went to pick rocks 9 (on a farm 8 miles away)and HOLY SHI# more baby chicks:thumbsup: And crp had 6 grown roosters in it:eek: Must be moving in from Minn. Even birds know how terrible it is to live there:D Hey aleast I didn't tell a Viking joke:)

my brother sent me a pic. of 10 little quail being looked after by a male.I'm hoping the hen when to start a 2nd hatch. this was some where around Creston

Only one I got, they were quick, the little fart is there, just in the grass a few inches. I was zooming out the front window and having trouble so this is the only one that turned out. Mom was out and back in, in a flash. Nice to see none the less. This area normaly nets me some huns every year as well.:thumbsup: when I go any way:D

DSCN0707.jpg

Great picture and what a site!:10sign: Young wild ring-neck pheasants.:) Glad to hear of the good news in Iowa.

Thanks for posting my friend:thumbsup:

Finally nice to get some descent news and pictures from Iowa! Getting report from my neighbor out there in S E Iowa of 2 clutches in the hood.

Just saw two nice groups by the house. And low and behold the one hen had my ribbon on her leg. Who says released birds don't work, Hogwash, LOL.:thumbsup: Bright pink ribbon don't come from an egg,LOL. I scared them off the highway.

It's very unfortunate you have no dnr brain power FC:( I seem to have lots of DNR brain power:thumbsup: and can explain the tag on that hens leg. It's as plain as day what happened. That stupid pen raised bird died like all pens raised bird do in the wild. And the smart wild bird seen the pretty leg band and liked it so much it put it on her leg. Some of you guys are sooooooooooooo dumb:D And remember coyotes have no affect on bird populations:thumbsup: That came from the DNR too:eek: Wish I could get paid for dumb ideas thoughts I'd be a millionaire:)

Just saw two nice groups by the house. And low and behold the one hen had my ribbon on her leg. Who says released birds don't work, Hogwash, LOL.:thumbsup: Bright pink ribbon don't come from an egg,LOL. I scared them off the highway.

A gentleman was picking some seed up earlier this spring. Said he had a pen bird with a nice clutch of chicks hanging around the year before. Unfortunately she only had one left later that spring.:(

I bumped into a clutch of chicks with a pen hen a few years back. The dang things won't shut up once they knew I was near! Cheep, cheep, churp, churp. Hard to elude a coyote or a fox like making so much noise.

Just a note; a study found if pen pheasants are vaccinated to kill of Nematode worms prior to release they have a higher chance of nesting success than wild (not vaccinated) hens;)

I don't buy in to that hype. I simply know it works well, has for eons. Proof is in the puddin. It may be different in state by state areas, but for Wst cen MN it flat out does the job.:thumbsup: I doub't I will have trouble gettin some limmits around here this year.;)

I don't buy in to that hype. I simply know it works well, has for eons. Proof is in the puddin. It may be different in state by state areas, but for Wst cen MN it flat out does the job.:thumbsup: I doub't I will have trouble gettin some limmits around here this year.;)

Ken, what hype are you referring to brother:confused: You lost me here.

I'm saying pen birds can reproduce successfully. Better yet with greater success without parasites living in their gut. No hype there.:cheers:

Robertson PHEASANTS, pg 116. In regards to his study of dosing hen's prior to nesting in the wild. Note; "losing" is in regards to predation on the nest.

"excluding time spent on the nest, we were losing 12 percent of the wild hens (nesting), 23 percents of the dosed reared birds and 39 percent of the undosed birds per month during the breeding season. However, when we looked just at the time they were actually sitting on the nest, we were losing 58 percent wild, 54 percent of undosed reared group (hens), but only 27% percent of the dosed group per month."

We don't know exactly why this, but fact is, vaccinated birds have even greater success nesting when vaccinated. This applies to wild hens too.:)

:D:cheers: Studies. Most people use medicated food. I believe to start out with it's OK. But I believe from wisdom of peers who raise birds for a living, and for decades. That they need to develop some imunity on there own as well. Not sure what the shot would cover. But I meant I don't believe in to many studies. For one, when we release a bird, what or how do they study them. Do they get down on all 4's and follow them through out their life,LOL. Most cases it is impossible for them to have any idea what is going on other then there is a sudden boost to bird numbers in the area. How would they go about this on a mass scale is what I would ask. If it is true, and actual fact from some how keeping an eye on a now wild bird, I would give them a shot. What is it? And where is the solid proof?

:D:cheers: Studies. Most people use medicated food. I believe to start out with it's OK. But I believe from wisdom of peers who raise birds for a living, and for decades. That they need to develop some imunity on there own as well. Not sure what the shot would cover. But I meant I don't believe in to many studies. For one, when we release a bird, what or how do they study them. Do they get down on all 4's and follow them through out their life,LOL. Most cases it is impossible for them to have any idea what is going on other then there is a sudden boost to bird numbers in the area. How would they go about this on a mass scale is what I would ask. If it is true, and actual fact from some how keeping an eye on a now wild bird, I would give them a shot. What is it? And where is the solid proof?

Radio tags/collars help locate the birds FC. Vaccinations by oral dose.:) This is an example as to how they can track birds. http://www.google.com/imgres?q=phea...ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:98,i:87&tx=80&ty=65 Note; this video has nothing to do with the studies I'm referring to.

A similar study was done with wild nesting grouse too. Same results. Prior to vaccination 100% of the nesting birds were found by the pointer used in this study.

Then, 1/2 the grouse were vaccinated (tagged and marked as such) the other half were not, hence remaining infected with parasites.

The 1/2 (grouse) that were not vaccinated were found on the nest by their pointer. The dog ran over and pasted the nesting grouse that were vaccinated (did not contain parasites within their guts.) There wasn't a sent "trail" in the air for the dog to pick up on.

Would Coyotes, fox, coon, etc be any different? Of course not.

The study using pheasants (mentioned in my previous post) proved this to be true.

Robertson's theory, or possibility is that Parasites within game birds could be making birds "gassy" therefore putting more sent into the air and making a easier target for predators.

Can pen bird with parasites within their guts nest successfully? Of course. But the fact is, success goes up without the parasite.

As you stated, you like using the wisdom of peers. I would agree. Let's face it; Our peers tell us our bird dog's noses pick up on pen birds with ease.:cheers:

Last edited:
OK but what Paracite is it. Is it covered with medicated food? there fore making the shot un needed? Just asking. I did not look at the links yet.

Nematode worms, such as Heterakis gallinarum. Heterakis particularly grabbed Robertson's attention in the study. Here's some brief info on this parasite http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/heterakis-gallinarium-d69.html

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to Robertson's book on Amazon. (used books) http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/heterakis-gallinarium-d69.html :cheers:

Back